Subject: FYI: Microsoft Simple Sharing Extensions for RSS and OPML

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:49:18 -0800

FYI... in case any of you hadn't seen this yet: 
http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/rss/sse/

It basically just adds related links and version/changing history to RSS 
along with a corresponding processing model for synchronizing multiple 
feeds.

<channel>
     <sx:sharing
                 since="Tue, 1 November 2004 09:43:33 GMT"
                 until="Fri, 1 March 2005 09:43:33 GMT" >
         <sx:related link="http://x.com/all.xml" type="complete" />
         <sx:related link="http://y.net/B.xml" type="aggregated"
             <title>Family Contacts (Dad's Copy)</title>
         </sx:related>
         <sx:related link="http://y.net/C.xml" type="aggregated" >
             <title>Family Contacts (Suzy's Copy)</title>
         </sx:related>
     </sx:sharing>
     ...
     <item>
         <description>This is a test item</description>
         <sx:sync id="0a7903db47fb0ae8" version="4">
             <sx:history when="Tue, 24 May 2005 09:43:33 GMT"
                 by="REO1750">
                 <sx:update when="Mon, 23 May 2005 09:43:33 GMT"
                         by="REO1750" />
                 <sx:update when="Sun, 22 May 2005 09:43:33 GMT"
                         by="REO1750" />
                 <sx:update when="Sat, 21 May 2005 09:43:33 GMT"
                         by="REO1750" />
             </sx:history>
         </sx:sync>
     </item>
</channel>

It's interesting to see that they've reinvented related links and have 
introduced a globally unique id and updated bits to the RSS feed.

-- 
- James

   Be a catalyst for change
   http://www.habitatjam.com/