Subject: RE: How to specify multiple alternative encodings of the same content?

From: "Lindsley Brett-ABL001" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 08:55:42 -0500

In following with the example below, one idea I toyed with was to
include an ID attribute on the link. Links with the same ID were
different representations of the same resource:

  <link rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg" href="show1.mp3" id="ID1" />
  <link rel="enclosure" type="application/ogg" href="show1.ogg" id="ID1"
/>
  <link rel="enclosure" type="audio/x-speex" href="show1.spx" id="ID1"
/>

  <link rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg" href="show2.mp3" id="ID2" />
  <link rel="enclosure" type="application/ogg" href="show2.ogg" id="ID2"
/>
  <link rel="enclosure" type="audio/x-speex" href="show2.spx" id="ID2"
/>

In this example, there are two resources (ID1 and ID2) but each has
three different representations. Would this work for your system? This
was only a suggestion; there was no sanctioned WG resolution.

Brett Lindsley,
Motorola Labs

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of A. Pagaltzis
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 6:31 AM
To: J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Cc: ATOM syntax mailing list
Subject: Re: How to specify multiple alternative encodings of the same
content?

* J.B. Nicholson-Owens <[email-masked]> [2005-11-07 06:40]:
> I'd like to be able to tell the user's software that there are
> multiple encodings of the same show, one in Ogg Vorbis, another
> in FLAC, and a third in Speex.

The basic idea is simple:

    <link rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg" href="show.mp3" />
    <link rel="enclosure" type="application/ogg" href="show.ogg" />
    <link rel="enclosure" type="audio/x-speex" href="show.spx" />

However, there is currently no mechanism to specify that these
enclosures are all equivalent, and that the client should pick
only one of them. Clients which automatically download closures
will probably take all three.

There was just recently discussion about an extension that would
allow specifying such subtleties; but I don't know what the
status of James' I-D is.

Regards,
-- 
Aristotle Pagaltzis // <http://plasmasturm.org/>

---

From: "A. Pagaltzis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:15:26 +0100

* Lindsley Brett-ABL001 <[email-masked]> [2005-11-07 15:05]:
> In following with the example below, one idea I toyed with was
> to include an ID attribute on the link. Links with the same ID
> were different representations of the same resource:

Check the recent thread, particularly the discussion from
somewhere around <[email-masked]>
(<http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg17415.html>).

A number of issues and approaches, including this one, have been
brought up.

Regards,