Subject: Re: Text-type contents and White Space

From: "A. Pagaltzis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:33:52 +0100

* Franklin Tse <[email-masked]> [2006-12-30 09:10]:
> In Section 3.1.1.1. of RFC 4287,
> 
>    If the value is "text", the content of the Text construct
>    MUST NOT contain child elements. Such text is intended to be
>    presented to humans in a readable fashion. Thus, Atom
>    Processors MAY collapse white space (including line breaks)
>    and display the text using typographic techniques such as
>    justification and proportional fonts.
> 
> However, white space in some text contents cannot be collapsed.
> Otherwise, the contents will be broken.

Use `type="text/plain"`. The `text` type is intended for limited
amounts of inline content that can be rendered in menus, lists
and the like, not for substantive amounts of content.

Regards,
-- 
Aristotle Pagaltzis // <http://plasmasturm.org/>

---

From: "Franklin Tse" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:03:56 +0800

IE and Firefox both failed to display text/plain contents. Opera can but all 
white space was collasped

Franklin

>From: "A. Pagaltzis" <[email-masked]>
>To: "'atom-syntax'" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Text-type contents and White Space
>Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:33:52 +0100
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Received: from balder-227.proper.com ([192.245.12.227]) by 
>bay0-mc10-f16.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2444); Sat, 
>30 Dec 2006 01:43:48 -0800
>Received: from balder-227.proper.com (localhost [127.0.0.1])by 
>balder-227.proper.com (8.13.5/8.13.5) with ESMTP id kBU9XtPv021949;Sat, 30 
>Dec 2006 02:33:55 -0700 (MST)(envelope-from [email-masked])
>Received: (from majordom@localhost)by balder-227.proper.com 
>(8.13.5/8.13.5/Submit) id kBU9XtIx021948;Sat, 30 Dec 2006 02:33:55 -0700 
>(MST)(envelope-from [email-masked])
>Received: from mail.gmx.net (mail.gmx.net [213.165.64.20])by 
>balder-227.proper.com (8.13.5/8.13.5) with SMTP id kBU9Xr0w021940for 
><[email-masked]>; Sat, 30 Dec 2006 02:33:54 -0700 (MST)(envelope-from 
>[email-masked])
>Received: (qmail invoked by alias); 30 Dec 2006 09:33:52 -0000
>Received: from xdsl-87-79-236-202.netcologne.de (EHLO klangraum) 
>[87.79.236.202]  by mail.gmx.net (mp047) with SMTP; 30 Dec 2006 10:33:52 
>+0100
>X-Message-Info: LsUYwwHHNt0EcBwwqClCjv7fVvdFoPaZ6Bo4rp+I6+M=
>X-Authentication-Warning: balder-227.proper.com: majordom set sender to 
>[email-masked] using -f
>X-Authenticated: #163624
>Mail-Followup-To: 'atom-syntax' <[email-masked]>
>References: <000201c72be7$7b1ebc00$715c3400$@com>
>User-Agent: Mutt/1.4.2.1i
>Organization: haphazard
>X-Y-GMX-Trusted: 0
>Precedence: bulk
>List-Archive: <http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/>
>List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email-masked]?body=unsubscribe>
>List-ID: <atom-syntax.imc.org>
>Return-Path: [email-masked]
>X-OriginalArrivalTime: 30 Dec 2006 09:43:48.0743 (UTC) 
>FILETIME=[019E8170:01C72BF7]
>
>

_________________________________________________________________
Learn English via Shopping Game, FREE! 
http://www.linguaphonenet.com/BannerTrack.asp?EMSCode=MSN06-03ETFJ-0211E

---

From: "Anne van Kesteren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:29:01 +0100

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:03:56 +0100, Franklin Tse  
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> IE and Firefox both failed to display text/plain contents. Opera can but  
> all white space was collasped

I suppose that's something we should fix then.

* files a bug report.

-- 
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>
<http://www.opera.com/>

---

From: "Franklin Tse" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:33:32 +0800

I have tested with both <atom:content type="text/plain"> and
<atom:content type="text/plain" xml:space="preserve">.

Both of them are the same.

Franklin

>From: "Anne van Kesteren" <[email-masked]>
>To: "Franklin Tse" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>CC: [email-masked]
>Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:29:01 +0100
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Received: from sam.opera.com ([193.69.113.81]) by 
>bay0-mc9-f14.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2444); Sat, 
>30 Dec 2006 02:29:07 -0800
>Received: from id-c0020 (ip565a461c.direct-adsl.nl [86.90.70.28] (may be 
>forged))(authenticated bits=0)by sam.opera.com 
>(8.13.4/8.13.4/Debian-3sarge3) with ESMTP id 
>kBUAT2E6000578(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA bits=256 
>verify=NOT);Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:29:03 GMT
>X-Message-Info: LsUYwwHHNt3660MmjhEvYg2f34OAemlK3oXsmRrh6gU=
>Organization: Opera Software
>References: <[email-masked]>
>User-Agent: Opera Mail/9.02 (Win32)
>Return-Path: [email-masked]
>X-OriginalArrivalTime: 30 Dec 2006 10:29:07.0721 (UTC) 
>FILETIME=[56419F90:01C72BFD]
>

---

From: "A. Pagaltzis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:36:40 +0100

* Franklin Tse <[email-masked]> [2006-12-30 11:05]:
> IE and Firefox both failed to display text/plain contents.
> Opera can but all white space was collasped

Yeah, I suspected that. Of course, none of the support xml:space
either, but the semantics of using text/plain are already obvious
without having to amend the spec and supporting it should take
minimal effort, so I would file bugs.

Almost no consumer at this point is prepared to process anything
but HTML and inline text since almost everyone just treats Atom
as a dialect of RSS 2.0. If you need the interoperability right
now, you will have to keep doing what you’re already doing with
`type="html"` containing `<pre>` tags.

Regards,

---

From: "Anne van Kesteren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:41:39 +0100

> <atom:content type="text/plain" xml:space="preserve">.

I don't think we do anything with xml:space. The definition it has makes  
it kind of pointless I think.