Subject: Atom namespace really not ending with / or # ?

From: Jan Algermissen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:18:49 +0100

Hi,

is it really true that the Atom namespace is http://www.w3.org/2005/ 
Atom ?

Meaning that it is somewhat difficult to identify Atom elements with  
URIs:

http://www.w3.org/2005/Atomauthor
http://www.w3.org/2005/Atomconributor
....

Was that simply a mistake or a design feature when Atom was  
standardized?

Thanks,

Jan

---

From: "Anne van Kesteren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:56:40 +0100

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:18:49 +0100, Jan Algermissen  
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> is it really true that the Atom namespace is http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom  
> ?

Yes.

> http://www.w3.org/2005/Atomconributor

Isn't that only relevant for RDF vocabularies?

> Was that simply a mistake or a design feature when Atom was standardized?

It wasn't really relevant, I'd say. (That it says "Atom" and not "atom"  
was a mistake.)

-- 
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>
<http://www.opera.com/>

---

From: "Alexander Johannesen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:16:19 +1100

> Isn't that only relevant for RDF vocabularies?

No, it's relevant for all types of XML work, from XLink to Topic Maps
to XHTML. But there's a difference between http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom
used as a namespace declaration and a document pointer, though. For a
lot of us data modeling types it would be good to use bits of the Atom
spec in controlled vocabularies, for example, and we mix these types
of models up all the time. Umm, at least I do. :)

Alex
-- 
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert
__ http://shelter.nu/ __________________________________________________

---

From: Bill de hOra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:25:59 +0000

Jan Algermissen wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> is it really true that the Atom namespace is http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom ?
> 
> Meaning that it is somewhat difficult to identify Atom elements with URIs:
> 

Thinks I asked for a trailing '/' at some point;  certainly for 
fnalising APP, I want a trailing '/'.

cheers
Bill

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:20:48 -0800

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Jan Algermissen 

> It wasn't really relevant, I'd say. (That it says "Atom" and not "atom" 

I'd agree.  Sigh.  But not a big one, I think -Tim