Subject: Query re: support of Media RSS extensions inside Atom feeds

From: John Panzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:23:14 -0800

Does anyone know of any issues with placing Yahoo! Media RSS extensions 
(which seem to fit the requirments for Atom extensions to me) inside an 
Atom feed?  Secondarily, do feed readers in general recognize MRSS 
inside either Atom or RSS?  Looking for field experience/implementor 
intentions here.

Thanks,
-- 

Abstractioneer <http://feeds.feedburner.com/aol/SzHO>John Panzer
System Architect
http://abstractioneer.org

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 21:15:19 -0800

I'm not sure if there are any feed readers that support MRSS in Atom but
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  A while back I implemented
minimal support for the MRSS extensions in Abdera with very little
difficulty.

- James

---

From: "James Holderness" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:48:20 -0000

John Panzer wrote:
> Does anyone know of any issues with placing Yahoo! Media RSS
> extensions (which seem to fit the requirments for Atom
> extensions to me) inside an Atom feed?  Secondarily, do feed
> readers in general recognize MRSS inside either Atom or RSS?
> Looking for field experience/implementor intentions here.

To the best of my knowledge, feed readers don't even recognize MRSS inside 
RSS feeds. It probably depends what features of the spec you're intending to 
use, but back when I was testing enclosure support I couldn't find a single 
feed reader that recognised MRSS media:content elements (having tested more 
than 20).

Add to that the fact that the spec is buggy, so the feeds that do use it 
often aren't compatible with each other; and most of what MRSS offers can 
already be achieved quite adequately using existing RSS/Atom elements (with 
the added bonus that feed readers will actually see the data). IMHO it's 
probably not worth bothering with.

That said, I know there are feed libraries that support it to some extent 
(in RSS at least) so there must be some people using it.

Regards
James

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:18:44 -0800

That's a big assumption.  The only reason I added it to Abdera was to
prove a point about being able to support RSS extensions in Atom.  I
haven't come across any implementation that makes use of the extensions.

- James

James Holderness wrote:
> [snip]
> That said, I know there are feed libraries that support it to some
> extent (in RSS at least) so there must be some people using it.
> 
> Regards
> James
> 
>

---

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:51:10 -0600

On Feb 9, 2007, at 9:23 PM, John Panzer wrote:
> extensions (which seem to fit the requirments for Atom extensions  
> to me) inside an Atom feed?  Secondarily, do feed readers in  
> general recognize MRSS inside either Atom or RSS?  Looking for  
> field experience/implementor intentions here.

CaRP partially supports Media RSS in RSS (it doesn't directly support  
Atom at all, and Grouper, the companion script that converts Atom to  
RSS for it doesn't yet have Media RSS support, though I may add it in  
the next update).  It only looks at elements pointing to images  
(@type="image/*") and their types, heights and widths.  I added this  
in response to user requests--primarily, I believe, for use with  
Flickr feeds.

Antone

---

From: Ernest Prabhakar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:22:50 -0800

>> to me) inside an Atom feed?  Secondarily

A year or two ago there was discussion of doing an IETF working group  
to add Media RSS (or equivalent) extensions to Atom.

Is there any interest in reviving that effort?

-- Ernie P.

On Feb 10, 2007, at 10:51 AM, Antone Roundy wrote:

>
>> , do feed readers in general recognize MRSS inside either Atom or  
>> RSS?  Looking for field experience/implementor intentions here.
>
> CaRP partially supports Media RSS in RSS (it doesn't directly  
> support Atom at all, and Grouper, the companion script that  
> converts Atom to RSS for it doesn't yet have Media RSS support,  
> though I may add it in the next update).  It only looks at elements  
> pointing to images (@type="image/*") and their types, heights and  
> widths.  I added this in response to user requests--primarily, I  
> believe, for use with Flickr feeds.
>
> Antone
>

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:43:07 -0800

I'd be all for it assuming it didn't go off in the weeds.

- James

Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
>>> extensions (which seem to fit the requirments for Atom extensions to
>>> me) inside an Atom feed?  Secondarily
> 
> A year or two ago there was discussion of doing an IETF working group to
> add Media RSS (or equivalent) extensions to Atom.
>