Subject: IBM IPR Disclosure

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:01:17 -0800

All,

As a general FYI, IBM just filed a blanket IPR disclosure [1] relating
to the activity of the Atompub WG.  Before any misinformation starts
going around about this I thought it would be a good idea to give y'all
a heads up.

As of right now IBM has NO KNOWN patents or applications for patents
that read on the Atom specs.  However, as is well known, IBM has a
massive IPR portfolio and it would take a very long time and cost a lot
of money for us to dig through 'em all to know for certain.  Rather than
spend the time and energy doing that, IBM has agreed to a blanket
commitment to Royalty Free terms for any IPR that reads on the Standards
Track specifications produced by the atompub Working Group.

Again, I want to reiterate that there are no patents we are currently
aware of nor are there any applications in progress that we are
currently aware of.

There are basically two reasons we are doing this:

1. We think the Atom Syndication Format and the Atom Publishing Protocol
are really important.

2. We want anyone to be able to implement Atom without any fear of
patent hell (and we're really hoping that others agree).

I must add that I am not a IPR expert by any stretch of the imagination.
 If you have questions, please direct them to me and I will answer what
I can or I will forward them on to our IP Law experts.

- James

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?&ipr_id=804

---

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:29:00 -0500

On 2/15/07, James M Snell <[email-masked]> wrote:> IBM has agreed to a
blanket commitment to Royalty Free terms
> for any IPR that reads on the Standards Track specifications
> produced by the atompub Working Group. ...
>We think the Atom Syndication Format and the Atom Publishing
> Protocol are really important.

Thank you.

bob wyman

---

From: "Yogesh Mujumdar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:24:32 +0530

Can somebody explain me what this stuff is? I feel like I am from stone age.
I sincerely dont understand anything from the text below. Please help me
understand it.

-- 
regards/Yogesh

"One can resist the invasion of an army but one cannot resist the invasion
of ideas." - Victor Hugo