Subject: Disappearing requirements

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:07:41 -0700

During a discussion on Sam's blog [1] it was pointed out that a
requirement on the the self link was mysteriously dropped between two
draft versions of rfc4287 without any discussion or notice.  This change
was not caught at the time and has led to a situation in which a valid
self link can fail to meet the requirements that led to the creation of
the self link in the first place.  While it's a minor issue that is easy
to work around using xml:base and software that fully implements support
for relative uri's, it is somewhat disconcerting that the change was
made in the first place.

[1]
http://intertwingly.net/blog/2007/09/15/One-More-Step-Forward#c1190194512

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:33:34 -0700

> for relative uri's, it is somewhat disconcerting that the change was

Editorial processes are conducted by humans.  That's why we, and the  
IETF, all had many MANY chances to review the spec.  If there were  
someone to whom this was important, presumably they would have  
noticed it and called it out.  -Tim