Subject: multipart, atompub, and a11y

From: Pete Brunet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:39:31 -0500

Should I be thinking about the a11y of atompub?  A little red flag is up 
for me because of the discussion about 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gregorio-atompub-multipart-00 Earlier, on 
the list, I asked about if it would make sense to package alternative 
media using the MIME type multipart/alternative, e.g. both visual and 
aural representations to assist those who are deaf or blind respectively 
but got back these responses:

>From Aristotle Pagaltzis:  multipart/* is forbidden as an Atom payload so 
you won?t find any such feeds.
>From Ernest Prabhakar:  As mentioned, Atom doesn't support multiparty. It 
does support multiple enclosures, though. Are there any HTML conventions 
we could perhaps adopt to identify accessible alternatives?
>From Brian Smith:  My guess is that multipart/alternative content would 
make things *less* accessible today, not more accessible. My feed reader 
won't even display entries that have multipart/alternative content and no 
tools (I know of) will help users author entries as multipart/alternate

So I wasn't going to think about mutipart any more and focus on file types 
like SMIL that have the alternative content embedded.  But maybe I still 
need to think about multipart.  What do you think?

Pete Brunet
                                                                          
IBM Accessibility Architecture and Development
11501 Burnet Road, MS 9022E004, Austin, TX 78758
Voice: (512) 838-4594, Cell: (512) 689-4155
Ionosphere: WS4G

---

From: "Brian Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:39:02 -0700

draft-gregorio-atompub-multipart-00 doesn't deal with multipart content; it
is a way of using multipart/alternative to combine a POST and a PUT of
related resources into a single POST.
 
- Brian

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Pete Brunet
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 2:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: multipart, atompub, and a11y

Should I be thinking about the a11y of atompub?  A little red flag is up for
me because of the discussion about
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gregorio-atompub-multipart-00 Earlier, on
the list, I asked about if it would make sense to package alternative media
using the MIME type multipart/alternative, e.g. both visual and aural
representations to assist those who are deaf or blind respectively but got
back these responses: 

*	From Aristotle Pagaltzis:  multipart/* is forbidden as an Atom
payload so you won't find any such feeds. 

*	From Ernest Prabhakar:  As mentioned, Atom doesn't support
multiparty. It does support multiple enclosures, though. Are there any HTML
conventions we could perhaps adopt to identify accessible alternatives? 

*	From Brian Smith:  My guess is that multipart/alternative content
would make things *less* accessible today, not more accessible. My feed
reader won't even display entries that have multipart/alternative content
and no tools (I know of) will help users author entries as
multipart/alternate

Pete Brunet