Subject: extension for update properties

From: Erik Wilde <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:51:05 +0200

hello.

i am sure this has already been discussed at some point in time, but i 
cannot remember seeing it, so i am asking this here: it might be useful 
to give a feed publisher some simple methods of making statements about 
a feed's update properties, such as a timestamp, a frequency, and some 
variation specification (maybe even a "maximum number of updates per 
time interval"). all of this would not be binding, but it might already 
help a client to adjust its feed polling strategy better than by 
observation alone. the update model should probably be simple and thus 
could probably be a simple extension with a small number of elements. 
would anybody be interested in such an extension? or are there already 
some "extensions" like this but they are not yet standardized?

i am thinking about this in the context of the "web of things", where i 
want to provide access to a lot of real-world objects or events via 
feeds, and a substantial number of these feeds will have update models 
that could help clients to more effectively access the feed.

thanks and cheers,

erik wilde   tel:+1-510-6432253 - fax:+1-510-6425814
        [email-masked]  -  http://dret.net/netdret
        UC Berkeley - School of Information (ISchool)