Subject: [Autoconf] Bootstrapping MANET

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:32:16 -0700

I was looking at a recent RFC (RFC 4640 on Problem Statement for
bootstrapping Mobile IPv6) and it got me thinking about MANET
Autoconf.  I feel that the Autoconf problem statement should look
something like this document.

As an attempt to jump start this effort I've created Section 1.1 - at
the bottom.

If you have comments/suggestions, please reply to the list.

Ian Chakeres

1.1.  Overview of the Problem

MANET routers need a unique manet-wide IP address. This address is
used to identify the MANET router, as the source address in IP packets
(especially for non link-local packets), and to determine the nexthop
router for packets being forwarded after MANET routing protocols have
determined routes.

Static provisioning of MANET router IP addresses have various issues,
as discussed later.

The aim of this document is:

o To identify the minimal set of information (bootstrapping) required
on a MANET router before participating (in autoconf and in routing)

o To identify sample deployment scenarios where MANET Autoconf will be deployed

* Additional requirements will be required for authenticated
messaging. These additions may be included in a future revision.

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf