Subject: 9/1 Structured Audio: Algorithmic Sound for the Internet and Beyond -- John Wawrzynek, Computer Science Division - EECS, University of California at Berkeley

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:53:51 -0700

Berkeley Multimedia, Interfaces and Graphics Seminar

Structured Audio: Algorithmic Sound for the Internet and Beyond

Wednesday, September 1, 1999, 
1:00-2:30 p.m. PST 
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

John Wawrzynek
Computer Science Division - EECS, University of California at Berkeley 

The upcoming MPEG 4 (MP4) Audio standard includes the unique Structured
Audio (SA) format. Unlike
traditional audio formats like MP3, sound in MP4-SA is not encoded as a
compressed version of audio
samples. Instead, an MP4-SA file is a computer program in the SAOL
language, that when executed by the
decoder generates the audio stream. 

When viewed as a Kolmogorov compression system, lossless compression ratios
of 100 to 10,000 are
possible with MP4-SA, for certain types of music. Because music under
production is naturally represented as
as a collection of algorithms and control data, MP4-SA also works well for
applications such as collaborative
music production over the Internet. 

In this talk, I'll describe the standard (which was primarily developed at
the MIT Media Lab by Eric Scheirer)
and detail research in my lab on (1) compiler-based approaches to fast
MP4-SA decoding and (2) physical
musical instrument modeling in SAOL.

---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real
Networks G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player:

rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
   http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving
the announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually
configuring the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session
addresses:

Video:	low bit rate: 	233.0.25.125/22334
      	high bit rate:	233.0.25.1/22334

Audio:			233.0.25.3/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to
replays of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center 

____________________________________________

Florissa Colina
Berkeley Multimedia Research Center (BMRC)
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/
626 Soda Hall #1776
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
Phone: (510) 643-0800   FAX: (510) 642-5615  
Email: [email-masked]