Subject: Multicast at a Cross-Roads

From: Marty Bickford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:04:24 -0700

Multicast at a Cross-Roads
--------------------------
A workshop run by Dr. Kevin Almeroth of Stardust.com and the University of
Santa Barbara. The workshop first establishes a solid base of knowledge
about intra-domain Multicast protocols and then explores the options for
inter-domain Multicast.

October 20, 1999
9:00am - 3:00pm at iBAND3

Space is limited. Sign-up Today for only $595!!
https://www.stardust.com/events/iband3/registration2.htm

The Workshop
------------
The state of Multicast is in flux. We are at two paths in the road and
which we will take is being decided. The question is a technical
fundamental for IP Multicast: how to best build a tree between sender(s)
and receiver(s). 

In this workshop you will learn both the basics and the future of IP
Multicast. We'll examine what it is, applications which benefit from
Multicast, and examine the key advantages and disadvantages of using
Multicast.

Together we'll explore the Multicast technologies and protocols enabling
efficient, scalable multimedia applications over the Internet. Including:

- IP Multicast service model 
- Realtime Transport Protocol (RTP) 
- Intra-domain routing protocols including DVMRP, MOSPF, and PIM 
- Inter-domain Multicast routing 
- Scalable, reliable Multicast delivery algorithms 

Finally, we'll explore the future of IP Multicast including the latest IETF
developments and application services being built on top of IP Multicast

The workshop will be taught be Dr. Kevin Almeroth. Dr. Almeroth is an
assistant professor at the University of California in Santa Barbara. His
research interests include computer networks and protocols, Multicast
communication, large-scale multimedia systems, and performance evaluation.
In addition to his research activities Dr. Almeroth is involved in the
design of the high speed California Research and Education Network
(CalREN-2); works on the Digital Media Innovation (DiMI) matching research
grant Program; and is working to develop the Media Arts and Technology
Program (MATP). Outside of UCSB, Dr. Almeroth is actively involved in
several Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) working groups; has helped
manage Multicast services for Networld+Interop as part of the Network
Operations Center (NOC) team; is a Senior Technologist for the IP Multicast
Initiative; and is the Multicast working group chair for Internet2. You can
reach him at [email-masked]. 

Space is limited. Sign-up Today for only $595!!
https://www.stardust.com/events/iband3/registration2.htm

If you have questions, please email or call Sherryl Alameda at (408)879-8080.

---
Marty Bickford  - 408.879.8080 (8081-fax)
iBAND3 Conference Director
Stardust.com - http://www.stardust.com
QoS Forum - http://www.qosforum.com

iBAND3 - The Internet Bandwidth Management Summit
http://www.stardust.com/iband3/