Subject: ICNP'99 (Toronto), Call for Registration

From: Terry Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:03:32 -0400

Dear Colleagues,

I have  appended the technical program for ICNP'99, which will be held
in
Toronto, Canada, Oct. 31 - Nov 3. Registration details are included in
the
attachment. The program is an excellent one and we hope that you will be
able to attend.

We would appreciated it very much if you could circulate this notice to
any of your colleagues who may be interested in attending the
conference.

Sorry if you have received multiple copies of this email.

Thanks,
Terry

--
Prof Terence D. Todd, Communications Research Laboratory,
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8S 4K1.
[email-masked]
905-525-9140 ext 24343, Fax.905-521-2922,
http://boa.crl.mcmaster.ca/~todd

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

			CALL FOR REGISTRATION

	  7th International Conference on Network Protocols

		    October 31 - November 3, 1999

		The Royal York Hotel, Toronto, Canada

		 www.computer.org/conferen/home/icnp/

ICNP is one of the premier conferences in the computer networking
field. This year ICNP'99 will be held in Toronto, whose name is a
Huron Indian word meaning "place of meeting".  Toronto is Canada's
largest city, the capital of the province of Ontario, and one of the
most exciting and progressive cities in the world. Its attractions are
far too numerous to list.

The conference will be held at the famous Royal York Hotel. The Royal
York has been in operation since 1929 and is one of the grand hotels
of Canada. It is located in the centre of downtown Toronto, a focal
point for shopping, culture and nightlife.

--------------------
ICNP'99 REGISTRATION
--------------------

Conference and hotel registration information is available at the
ICNP'99 web site: www.computer.org/conferen/home/icnp/

   * The hotel room cutoff date is OCTOBER 8, 1999.

   * The conference advance registration deadline is OCTOBER 11, 1999.

To avoid disappointment, please register as soon as possible.

---------------
ICNP'99 PROGRAM
---------------

Sunday, 31 October 1999
-----------------------

Full-Day Tutorials 

9:00am - 5:00pm Lunch provided

   * Internet Telephony
     Henning Schulzrinne, Columbia University

   * Mobile Networking with Mobile IP
     Charles E. Perkins, Sun Microsystems

(Further details of the tutorials are given at the end of this
program.)

Monday, 1 November 1999
-----------------------

9:00am - 9:30am Welcome Session

9:30am - 10:30am Keynote Address:

   * Dr. Jon Turner, Washington University

     "Technology Changes and Networking Research -- Speculations on
      the Future"

10:30am - 11:00am Break

11:00am - 12:30am Paper Session 1: Protocols and Routing

Automated Protocol Implementations based on Activity Threads
P. Langendoerfer, H. Koenig (Brandenburg University of Cottbus)

Dynamic Memory Model-based Optimization and Code Synthesis for IP 
Address Lookup
G. Cheung, S. McCanne (U.C. Berkeley)

Policy Disputes in Path-Vector Protocols 
T. Griffin, F. Shepherd, G. Wilfong (Bell Laboratories)

Fault Detection in Routing Protocols
D. Massey (UCLA), B. Fenner (AT&T Research)

12:30am - 2:00pm Lunch Break

2:00pm - 3:30pm Paper Session 2: Multicast I

Receiver-Cooperative Bandwidth Management for Layered Multicast 
H. Yamaguchi, T. Higashino, K. Taniguchi (Osaka University), K. 
Yasumoto (Shiga University)

Receiver-initiated Group Membership Protocol (RGMP): A New Group 
Management Protocol for IP Multicasting
W. Liao, D. Yang (National Taiwan university)
 
Centralized Multicast
S. Keshav (Cornell University), S. Paul (Bell Laboratories)

Optimal Allocation of Clients to Replicated Multicast Servers
Z. Fei, M. Ammar, E. Zegura (Georgia Institute of Technology)

3:30pm - 4:00pm Break

4:00pm - 5:30pm Paper Session 3: Multicast II
 
Scaling End-to-end Multicast Transports with a Topologically-sensitive 
Group Formation Protocol
S. Ratnasamy, S. McCanne (U.C. Berkeley)

WDM Multicasting in IP over WDM Networks
C. Qiao, M. Jeong, (SUNY at Buffalo), A. Guha (AT&T Labs), X.  Zhang
(Lucent Technologies), J. Wei (Telcordia Technologies, Inc)

Evaluating the Utility of FEC with Reliable Multicast
D. Li, D. Cheriton (Stanford University)

A Logical Ring Reliable Multicast Protocol for Mobile Nodes
I. Nikolaidis, J. Harms (University of Alberta)

5:30pm - 7:30pm Reception 

Tuesday, 2 November 1999
------------------------

9:00am - 10:30am Paper Session 4: Quality of Service I

ERUF: Early Regulation of Unresponsive Best-Effort Traffic
A. Rangarajan, A. Acharya (U.C. Santa Barbara)

An In-Depth Look at Flow Aggregation for Quality of Service
Jorge Cobb (University of Texas at Dallas)

NBQ: Neighbor-state Based Queuing for Adaptive Bandwidth Sharing
Y. Tamura, Y. Tobe, H. Tokuda (Keio University)
 
Evaluation of Bandwidth Broker Signaling
M. Gunter, T. Braun (University of Berne)

10:30am - 11:00am Break

11:00am - 12:30am Paper Session 5: Quality of Service II

Minimum Rate Guarantee without Per-Flow Information
Y. Kim, W. Tsai, M. Iyer, J. Ros (U.C. Irvine)

A New Proposal of RSVP Refreshes
L. Wang, A. Terzis, L. Zhang (UCLA)

Effect of Unreliable Nodes on QoS Routing
S. Gokhale, S. Tripathi (U.C. Riverside)

How to make assured services more assured
W. Lin, R. Zheng, J. Hou (Ohio State University)

12:30am - 2:00pm Lunch Break

2:00pm - 3:30pm Panel 1: Embedded Wireless Networks

3:30pm - 4:00pm Break

4:00pm - 5:30pm Paper Session 6: Transport Protocols

Empirical TCP Profiles and Application
C. Popescu, A.U. Shankar (University of Maryland)

On Individual and Aggregate TCP Performance
L. Qiu, Y. Zhang, S. Keshav (Cornell University)

Improving TCP Congestion Control Over Internets with Heterogenous 
Transmission Media
C. Parsa, J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves (U.C. Santa Cruz)

TCP Trunking: Design, Implementation and Performance
H.T. Kung, S.Y. Wang (Harvard University)

Wednesday, 3 November 1999
--------------------------

9:00am - 10:30am Paper Session 7: Wireless Networks I

The Havana Framework for Supporting Application and Channel
Dependent QOS in Wireless Networks
J. Gomez, A. Campbell (Columbia University), H. Morikawa (University 
of Toyko)

A Distributed Scheduling Algorithm for Quality of Service Support in 
Multiaccess Networks
C. Barrack, K. Siu (MIT)

Fluid Analysis of Delay Performance for QoS Support in Wireless Networks
J. Kim, M. Krunz (University of Arizona)

Scheduling in Wireless Networks with Multiple Transmission Channels
S. Damodaran, K. Sivalingam (Washington State University)

10:30am - 11:00am Break

11:00am - 12:30am Panel 2: Active Networks: Where Do We Stand Today?

12:30am - 2:00pm Lunch Break

2:00pm - 3:30pm Paper Session 8: Wireless Networks II

Source-Tree Routing in Wireless Networks
J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves (U.C. Santa Cruz), M. Spohn (Nokia Wireless
Routers)

HAWAII: A Domain-based Approach for Supporting Mobility in Wide-area 
Wireless Networks
R. Ramjee, T. La Porta, S. Thuel, K. Varadhan (Bell Labs, Lucent 
Technologies) and S. Wang (Harvard University)

Analysis of Caching-based Location Management in Personal Communication 
Networks
K. Ratnam (Northeastern University), I. Matta (Boston University),
S. Rangarajan (Bell Laboratories)

Wave and Wait Protocol (WWP): An Energy Saving Protocol for Mobile 
IP-Devices
V. Tsaoussidis, H. Badr, R. Verma (SUNY at Stony Brook)

3:30pm - 4:00pm Break

4:00pm - 5:30pm Paper Session 9: Internet Services

Smoothing and Prefetching Video from Distributed Servers
S. Bakiras, V. Li (University of Hong Kong)

Analysis of Receiver Adaptation for Layered Video Transmission over 
Heterogeneous Networks: A Microscopic Perspective
P. Hu, Z. Zhang, M. Kaveh (University of Minnesota)

A Behavioral Model of Web Traffic
H. Choi, J. Limb (Georgia Institute of Technology)

Concast: Design and Implementation of a New Network Service
K. Calvert, J. Griffioen, A. Sehgal, S. Wen (University of Kentucky)

----------------
TUTORIAL PROGRAM
----------------

Internet Telephony

Henning Schulzrinne, Columbia University

Internet telephony or voice-over-IP (VoIP), the use of the Internet to
replace parts of the existing circuit-switched telephone network, holds
the promise of fundamentally changing how telephone calls are made.
Beyond replacing the circuit-switched network, VoIP has the potential of
making phone service as flexible and programmable as email and web
service, speed the availability of multimedia communications, as well as
integrating phone service with existing common Internet services.

This tutorial introduces the major components needed to support
telephony in the Internet:  signaling, quality-of-service support and
media transport.  It covers the basic signaling protocols, such as
H.323, MGCP/Megaco and SIP, as well as how to use them to provide common
and advanced services.  VoIP will likely be a major user of resource
reservation and differentiated services, possibly with charging and
policy extensions. Finally, voice and video data has to be carried
efficiently across the network.

For the foreseeable future, Internet telephony has to interwork with the
existing phone system. We discuss how this can be done, either by
viewing the Internet telephone as a switch or as an end system. A basic
introduction to the existing telephone architecture will be provided.

Internet Telephony

motivation for Internet telephony
  transmission efficiency
  OAM integration
  services

short summary of the existing PSTN (SS7)
  digital transmission and switching
  SS7 architecture: SSP, SCP, ...
  SS7 protocol stack: MTP, ISUP, TCAP

signaling: H.323, SIP
  role of signaling
  SIP architecture: user agents, proxies and redirect servers
  SIP forking
  SIP security
  H.323 architecture
  interaction of signaling and resource reservation

Internet telephony services
  SIP services
  cgi-bin
  Call Processing Language

Internet telephony device control
  motivation and architecture
  MGCP

Interoperation with the PSTN
  architectures: bridging or tunneling
  SIP-to-ISUP translation
  E.164 address mapping

Gateway location
  motivation and architecture
  BGP and synchronization approaches

Billing and operational issues
  Billing for what and where?
  Emergency services
  Operator services
  Intercepts

audio/video codings
  audio coding techniques: sample vs. frame
  impairments for packet audio
  uncompress digital video formats: YUV, CIF, ...
  JPEG
  MPEG

quality of service constraints and impairments
  packet loss
  packet delay: causes and requirements
  delay jitter
  QOS compensation mechanisms

packet scheduling and resource reservation
  traffic policing: GCRA and token buckets
  packet scheduling: priority and WFQ
  receiver-oriented resource reservation: RSVP
  sender-oriented resource reservation: YESSIR
  Diff-Serv

RTP
  motivation
  packet formats for data
  RTCP for QOS feedback and audience size estimation
  media synchronization

BIOGRAPHY
---------

Henning Schulzrinne received his undergraduate degree in economics and
electrical engineering from the Technische Hochschule in Darmstadt,
Germany, in 1984, his MSEE degree as a Fulbright scholar from the
University of Cincinnati, Ohio and his Ph.D.  degree from the
University of Massachusetts in Amherst, Massachusetts in 1987 and
1992, respectively.  From 1992 to 1994, he was a member of technical
staff at AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill.  From 1994-1996, he was
associate department head at GMD-Fokus (Berlin), before joining the
Computer Science and Electrical Engineering departments at Columbia
University, New York.  His research interests encompass real-time,
multimedia network services in the Internet and modeling and performance
evaluation.

He is an editor of the Journal of Communications and Networks and IEEE
Communications Society editor of the IEEE Internet Computing Magazine.
He co-chairs the IEEE Communications Society Internet Technical
Committee and is vice chair of the IEEE Communications Society Technical
Committee on Computer Communications. He has been vice general chair of
IEEE Infocom and will be co-technical chair of that conference in 2000.

Protocols co-developed by him are now Internet standards, used by almost
all Internet telephony and multimedia applications.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mobile Networking with Mobile IP

Charles E. Perkins, Sun Microsystems

When mobile computers move, and attach themselves to new networks
within the Internet, they can use mobile-IP as a means to achieve
seamless roaming transparently to application software.  In this
situation, transparent means that the applications work just as
before, and don't need to be recompiled or reconfigured.  Seamless
means that roaming from one place to another occurs without
inconvenience to the user.  As long as a physical path exists for
communication, the user might not even be aware when a cell boundary
has been crossed.  The objective of the seminar is to lay out the
necessary protocol technology to allow mobile computers to use
mobile-IP, and to describe the relevant operation of other protocols
which can be used to aid mobility.

In this tutorial, I will explore in detail all aspects of
mobile-IP and other standard protocols that further simplify
the operation of mobile computers in the Internet, including:
        - Mobile Agent advertisements
        - Registration procedures
        - Tunneling mechanisms
        - The role of Security
        - Home Agents
        - Foreign Agents
        - How to set up a home network
        - Getting Care-of Addresses via DHCP
        - Route Optimization
        - Smooth handoffs
        - Reverse tunnels and filtering by border routers
        - IPv6 mobility support
        - AAA (Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting)

The seminar is intended for anyone who is interested in learning
about how to use mobile-IP, create a home network for mobile
users within their organization, or explore new Internet protocols
and mobile computing.  This includes programmers, administrators,
network managers, and mobile computer users who are already familiar
with using the Internet.

The following is a rough outline of the tutorial, which will be adapted
to fit the interests of the audience and the time available.

Introduction - Why Mobile Networking?
        o Wireless Technologies
        o Laptop Computing
        o Information Superhighway
        o Mobility vs. Portability
        o The Need for two-level addressing

Mobile IP
        o What is Mobile IP?
        o Terminology
        o Protocol  Oveview
        o Mobile Agent Discovery
          o   Solicitation Packet Format
          o   Advertisement Packet Format
        o  Registration
          o   Registration Packet Format
          o   Registration Reply and Status Codes
        o  Tunneling
          o   IP-Within-IP
          o   Minimal Encapsulation Format
          o   Generic Record Encapsulation (GRE)
        o  Security
        o  Home Networks
          o   Virtual Home Networks
          o   Discovering Home Agent Addresses
          o   Gratuitous ARP
          o   ARP handling by the mobile node
        o  TCP Congestion control vs Error-prone Media
        o  Private Addresses
        o  Route Optimization
        o  Role of the Internet Engineering Task Force

Mobility Considerations in IP version 6
        o  An Overview of IPv6
          o   IPv6 Options
          o   IP version 4 vs IP version 6
        o  Mobility Considerations in IPv6
        o  Binding Update Option
        o  Binding Acknowledgment ICMP Message
        o  Binding Request option
        o  Home Address option
        o  Home Agent Discovery
        o  Node and Router requirements for Mobility Support

Mobile IP and AAA
        o  AAA functionality
        o  Simple Mobile IP protocol extensions
        o  Local Handoff
        o  Dynamic home-address allocation
        o  Surrogate Registration
        o  Localized Registration/multi-level foreign agents

BIOGRAPHY
---------

Charles E. Perkins is a Senior Staff Engineer at Sun Laboratories,
investigating mobile wireless networking and dynamic configuration
protocols.  He is the editor for several ACM and IEEE journals
for areas related to wireless networking.  He is serving as document
editor for the mobile-IP working group of the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF), and is author or co-author of standards-track documents
in the mobileip, svrloc, dhc (Dynamic Host Configuration) and IPng
working
groups.  Charles is also associate editor for Mobile Communications and
Computing Review, the official publication of ACM SIGMOBILE, and is
on the editorial staff for IEEE Internet Computing magazine.  He has
served on the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) of the IETF.  Charles
has authored a book on Mobile IP, and has published a number of papers
and award winning articles in the areas of mobile networking, ad-hoc
networking, route optimization for mobile networking, resource
discovery,
and automatic configuration for mobile computers.  Charles has served
on various committees for the National Research Council, and is
currently
the chairperson of the Nomadicity Working Team of the Cross-Industry
Working Team (XIWT).

Charles holds a B.A. in mathematics and a M.E.E. degree from Rice
University, and a M.A. in mathematics from Columbia University.
He is a member of ISOC, ACM, IEEE, and the IETF.