Subject: 10/6 Resource Management in Operating Systems --Timothy Roscoe, [affiliation]

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:35:12 -0700

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

Resource Management in Operating Systems

Wednesday October 6, 1999 
1:00-2:30 p.m. PDT
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Timothy Roscoe
Applied Technology Lab Sprint Communications

This is a talk about how multimedia research and operating systems
interact, in a few cases. Traditionally, multimedia applications research
in academia and quite a few corporate labs has been based on dedicated
hardware of one sort or another, either built specially for the application
or else a general-purpose computer given over entirely to one processing
job. The problem is usually not that the hardware lacks the resources, but
that the system is incapable of sharing the resources in the appropriate
way, including dynamically reallocating resources and policing resource
usage. 

A few operating systems have appeared recently which directly address these
problems, and in doing so require multimedia application designers to
reorient their thinking away from virtual, abstracted resources to
physical, controlled resources. This doesn't necessarily make writing
programs harder, and can actually result in much simpler and more robust
multimedia applications. 

I'll talk about this different way of thinking about systems, especially in
relation to the Nemesis operating system.
---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real
Networks G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player:

rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
   http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving
the announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually
configuring the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session
addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to
replays of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center 

____________________________________________

Florissa Colina
Berkeley Multimedia Research Center (BMRC)
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/
626 Soda Hall #1776
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
Phone: (510) 643-0800   FAX: (510) 642-5615  
Email: [email-masked]