Subject: Re: rtpSession{Sender,Receiver}Joins in the RTP MIB

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:41:59 -0700

A question on the expected uses of rtpSessionSenderJoins and
rtpSessionReceiverJoins in the context of an RTP monitor: what if a
receiver starts sending?  What if a sender stops sending?

My guess is that each variable should be incremented at most once by
an SSRC without seeing a BYE, but that a change of state should trigger
the incrementing of the associated counter.  This way, a teleconference
where each participant may switch back and forth many times between being
a sender and receiver will not cause the counters to increment forever,
but the switch of status will be noted.

Am I close?

  Bill

---

From: "Strahm, Bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 08:14:33 -0700

Yes that is how rtpSession{Sender,Receiver}Joins works.  Basically one of
the things that people are interested in tracking is an approximate gauge of
the size of a multicast audience.  We are trying to roughly gauge the size
of the audience using these figures. 

These counters MUST NOT increment for each SR/RR that is seen, if it were to
do that the counters would be useless.

Bill

______________________________________________
Bill Strahm        Programming today is a race between
bill.strahm@      software engineers striving to build
intel.com           bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
(503) 264-4632   and the Universe trying to produce
            bigger and better idiots.  So far, the
                        Universe is winning.--Rich Cook
I am not speaking for Intel.  And Intel rarely speaks for me

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bill Fenner [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 9:42 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: rtpSession{Sender,Receiver}Joins in the RTP MIB
> 
> 
>