Subject: 9/8 The Bunny Production Management System for Animation and Visual Effects -- Jonathan Luskin, Franz Inc.

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:30:00 -0700

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

The Bunny Production Management System for Animation and Visual Effects

Wednesday, September 8, 1999, 
1:00-2:30 p.m. PDT
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Jonathan Luskin
Franz Inc.  

The production of a computer animated feature film typically involves 150
artists, 100,000 rendered frames, 2
terabytes of data, and multiple production locations. Managing data and
workflow with standard computer file
systems and communication software is extremely difficult. 

The Bunny system, from Franz Inc., is an extensible software infrastructure
for managing digital assets and
workflow. Bunny production management features include versioning of
assets, concurrent access control,
multilayered permission and security, annotation of assets, change control,
notification, and task tracking.
Bunny uses a client/server architecture. A Java client permits access from
remote locations and a variety of
computer workstations. Meta data objects are managed using AllegroStore,
which combines ObjectStore with
CLOS, the advanced Common Lisp Object System. The Unix file system is used
to store and retrieve the
digital assets. 

Franz Inc. is the world's leading vendor of dynamic object-oriented
development tools featuring CLOS, the only
ANSI-standard dynamic object-oriented language. The company's mission is to
deliver leading-edge
development products that enable corporate and independent software
developers to build sophisticated,
flexible and adaptive applications quickly and easily.

---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real
Networks G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the real player:

rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
   http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving
the announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually
configuring the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session
addresses:

Video:	low bit rate: 	233.0.25.125/22334
      	high bit rate:	233.0.25.1/22334

Audio:			233.0.25.3/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the Multimedia Graphics and Interfaces Seminar web
page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center 

____________________________________________

Florissa Colina
Berkeley Multimedia Research Center (BMRC)
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/
626 Soda Hall #1776
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
Phone: (510) 643-0800   FAX: (510) 642-5615  
Email: [email-masked]