Subject: New draft for DTMF and other tones

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 17:20:41 -0400

A new draft should be appearing shortly in the on-line I-D archives. It
can also be found at
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/drafts/draft-ietf-avt-tones-01.txt
or
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/drafts/draft-ietf-avt-tones-01.pdf
(unofficial PDF version).

The draft incorporates changes discussed at the AVT meeting. The only
substantive change beyond that is based on a comment by Terry Lyons
(although the solution is slightly different): an end-of-tone bit was
added so that the last packet in a tone may be marked. This is
backward-compatible with previous drafts, but does allow implementations
to play a tone until the end marker or the next distinct tone, resulting
in somewhat larger error resiliency, at the risk that a tone will last
longer than "correct". (An error of more than 150 ms duration occurs
only if all three retransmission packets for the end-marked packet are
lost.)

I'd like to ask the AVT WG chairs to issue a working group last call for
this document.

Comments are particularly appreciated at this stage...

Henning
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs