Subject: 9/29 An Opinionated View of the Current State of IP Differentiated Services -- Kathleen Nichols, Cisco Systems

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:00:00 -0700

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

An Opinionated View of the Current State of IP Differentiated Services

Wednesday September 29, 1999, 
1:00-2:30 p.m. PDT
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Kathleen Nichols 
Cisco Systems 

The differentiated services approach to IP quality of service has its roots
in several years of research discussions and ad hoc traffic engineering. An
IETF WG on differentiated services (diffserv) was formed in early
1998 and has produced three standards track RFCs and an informational RFC
on the general architecture. A
number of vendors have announced diffserv products and the Internet2 effort
has adopted a diffserv style QoS
for its testbed. 

The initial momentum for diffserv came largely from ISPs and reflected a
lack of confidence in the Intserv/RSVP
QoS solution that came out of the research community. Diffserv reflects the
need for a scalable, incrementally
deployable QoS that matches well with the administrative realities of
today's Internet. As diffserv moved to
visibility in the IETF, the University research community has seized on the
topic and produced a raft of similar
simulation studies based on simplistic network models and proposing
complexity that would threaten the
scalability and deployability of diffserv. This talk will include a
(somewhat opinionated) overview of diffserv,
presentation of some results, and a shopping list of of interesting
questions the presenter would like to see
investigated.
---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real
Networks G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player:

rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
   http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving
the announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually
configuring the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session
addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to
replays of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center 

____________________________________________

Florissa Colina
Berkeley Multimedia Research Center (BMRC)
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/
626 Soda Hall #1776
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
Phone: (510) 643-0800   FAX: (510) 642-5615  
Email: [email-masked]