Subject: [Fwd: RTP Packetization]

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 13:38:13 -0500

this question is best addressed by avt..

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

Subject: RTP Packetization
From: Ramana Yarlagadda <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 09:39:16

Hi all,

In section 6.2.1/H225v2 it is mentioned as :
For audio algorithms such as G.723 which use more than one size of audio

frame, audio frame boundaries within each packet shall be signalled
in-band to the audio channel.

If we consider it from RTP point of view, then in a RTP packet
there can be various combinations of the silence and voice frames.
Let's consider one RTP packet like this:
<voice><voice><SID><voice><SID>.
so, audio frame boundaries can be
1. between two voice frames or
2. between voice frame and a non-voice frame.
3. or both 1 and 2.
My question is exactely which of the above mentioned audio boundaries,
according to the section 6.2.1/h225v2 needs to be signalled in the RTP
packet?

And, the boubndaries are to be signalled in-band, it means we have to
add the boundary signalling in the RTP payload itself.
am I correct?

If we are going to put the boundary signalling inside the RTP payload,
and this sort of signalling is H323 specific thing. then I think it will
create some interoperability problems with RTP implementations other
than
H323.

-Thanks in advance.
-ramana

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.