Subject: Draft Announcement for Initial Interop. Clearinghouse Press Release

From: "John Weiler, OBJECTive Technology Group" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:28:22 -0500

Hi again,

I wanted to let you know that the Interoperability Clearinghouse (ICH)
has greatly accelerated its Architecture Validation Program (AVP) for
interoperable E-Business & Information Infrastructure frameworks.  The
ICH is preparing its initial press release in conjunction with
industry’s largest IT standards group, ISVs, integrators and domain
implementers.  If your organization is interested in participating in
this launch scheduled for January, 2000, please review the following
materials and get back to us ASAP, so we can discuss engagement
options.

If you are not the appropriate individual to represent your
organization’s interest for this effort, please forward this ICH notice
to those who should be apprised of this collaborative architecture
initiative.  Below is a summary of some of our recent developments that
will be incorporated into our January 2000 announcement.

- ICH, in cooperation with the AFCEA, AFEI, IAC, and ITAA has
established four E-Business blue ribbon panels for OSD AT&L and OSD
C3I.  The Software Quality and Interoperability working group has
concluded its interim report (www.eccwg.org). Other ICH co-sponsored
working groups include Information Assurance, Performance
Measurements and Incentives.  Participation options are open.
- Due to growing demand for the ICH, OSD C3I recently concluded an
extensive validation of the ICH collaborative initiative.   Copies
are available for prospective ICH partners.
- A Defense Architecture Immersion Program is beginning with Navy,
DIA, DFAS, and DoD solution providers.  Focus is on directory
services, web application servers, and information assurance.
- OSD C3I has commissioned a Defense@OOTS seminar (www.TheOTG.com) set
for  March 2000. Co-sponsors include OMG, ICH, IBM, other
distributed computing experts.  Sponsorships are still
open.
- The Distributed Component-based Architecture Modeling (DCAM) IRAD
team is expanding to address Information Assurance architecture
modeling building on earlier R&D successes sponsored by DARPA.
- AF Scientific Advisory Board references ICH as means of dealing with
COTS software in its annual recommendations to the Secretary of the
AF.
- Dep. Of Commerce Architecture Validation Program: Frameworks
addressing Web based infrastructure, PKI and Enterprise Directory
services
- Health Information Infrastructure (HII):  Developing and Validating
architecture frameworks for Government Wide Computer-based Patient
Record (VA, DoD, HHS).
- DOJ sponsored Justice Architecture Initiative: Cooperative effort
with states to define common infrastructure frameworks.
- Multi-State Architecture Validation Program began with kickoff at
NASIRE conference.
- Resubmission of Interoperability proposal to Federal CIO Council.
- CDC has concluded a Data Warehousing mini-session in cooperation
with TRW with great success.

Due to the confidential nature of our Telecom and Finance Domain
Architecture initiatives, we will only be able to discuss under non-
disclosure.

Participation Options;
To help domain implementers accelerate the adoption of leading edge
technologies, the ICH has instituted its industry support Architecture
Validation Program. Below are ways disparate organizations can
contribute to the refinement of these domain architecture models;
- SDOs: Have standards abstracted and validated through mapping of
specifications to product implementations.  The evidence of viable
standards can be found in real implementations.
- Vendors: Have products offerings modeled and validated into domain
architecture for multi-client applications. Technology focus areas
include: Web development environments, Web Application Servers,
Middleware, Directory Services, PKI, Object Persistence, Data
Management, Component Models and Enterprise Resource Management.
- Integrators: Support technology research and validation efforts.
Document domain and technical experience for best practices
repository.
- Domain Users: Engage Architecture Validation Program.  Co-develop
and validate interoperable frameworks for secure, Internet based
architectures.   Architecture mentoring services available.
- All: Join ICH domain working groups, collaborative IR&D project to
develop knowledge repository, participate in Industry@IT-
Architectures forums.

Those organizations who have already begun to engage this collaborative
architecture validation initiative include;
Component Source, DARPA, Defense Medical, Defense Finance, Defense
Intelligence Agency, Department of Justice, EDS, IBM, IEEE, Lockheed
Martin, Microsoft, Object Management Group, US Navy, Bell Atlantic,
NSTL, Open Applications Group, Open GIS, Office of the Secretary of
Defense, Patent Trademark Office, TINA-C, TRW, State of Missouri,
Federal E-Commerce Consortium (ITAA, CommerceNET, IAC, AFCEA, AFEI)

For those interested in being part of our 2000 press release, submit
your approved quote before December 15, 1999. Below is the set of
quotes already supplied by our prospective partners in this global
effort.

IBM:  " IBM, will continue to be an influential force in promoting open
systems and interoperability, and as such, sees the Interoperability
Clearinghouse as one of the more significant initiatives in defining
the road map to enterprise computing.  Our support of this initiative
is further evidence of our commitment to open, standards based IT".

SUN MICROSYSTEMS: “Sun applauds the efforts of the OMG, OTG and DARPA
in developing an ‘Interoperability Clearinghouse’ tool.  This ambitious
project will help to evangelize what Sun has been saying for so long.
‘Open systems are the best way to protect IT investments.’ ”

MICROSOFT: “The Interoperability Clearinghouse initiative promises to
be a means for IT professionals to make informed decisions in this
complex area. Microsoft welcomes the efforts of the ICH initiative and
looks forward to it becoming a useful tool for understanding
Interoperability of IT products”

LOCKHEED MARTIN: “This initiative complements several on going COTS
efforts within Lockheed Martin Corp., and we recognize the potential
value that the (Interoperability Clearinghouse) effort will bring to
industry”

OPEN APPLICATIONS GROUP: “We at the Open Applications Group are
interested in this initiative and will incorporate our specifications
and testing results into the ICH once built.”

OBJECT MANAGEMENT GROUP: “As one of the leading advocates of open
systems and interoperability, the OMG believes that the
Interoperability Clearinghouse initiative will help users realize the
benefits from our combined efforts.”

For more information, please call 703-768-4975 or email
[email-masked].

http://www.E-interop.com (Interoperability Clearinghouse link)
http://www.gcn.com/vol18_no24/enterprise/313-1.html
http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?981113.whsoft.htm
http://www.fcw.com/pubs/fcw/1999/0208/fcw-newsinterop-2-8-99.html
http://206.144.247.65/archives/gcn/1999/February8/1c.htm
http://206.144.247.65/archives/gcn/1999/March29/16.htm
http://www.healthcare-informatics.com/issues/1999/05_99/standards.htm
http://www.omg.org/techprocess/meetings/ic.html

john