Subject: 11/17 Operational Multicast Network Management -- Radhika Malpani, HP Labs

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:03:27 -0800

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

Operational Multicast Network Management

Wednesday November 17, 1999 
1:00-2:30 p.m. PST
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Radhika Malpani 
HP Labs 

Despite the increased need for IP multicast, driven by the popularity of
applications like multimedia events and
data distribution services, its deployment has not been widespread.
Surprisingly, the lack of appropriate
network management tools for IP multicast has proven to be a major barrier
for its deployment. While a few
diagnotic tools do exist today, these usually require expert knowledge and
understanding of multicast
protocols.Unlike unicast, where domain knowledge and management experience
is considerable, in the
multicast domain few people have the requisite multicast knowledge. This is
especially true in the NOCs
(Network Operations Center), where multicast management experience is
practically non-existent 

This talk will describe the results of research at HP Laboratories into the
management needs of multicast
network operators. It will describe a prototype multicast network
management system we've built that is aimed
at network operators and discuss how it can be used to manage multicast
networks. This prototype is currently
used at HP and other sites to manage the multicast networks and some of our
preliminary experiences with the
prototype will be discussed.
---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center