Subject: RTP Setup Signaling

From: Patrick Foy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:01:17 -0500

I am working on a project that is required to support RTP and RTCP.  I've 
read a lot about RTP in general, but I still have not found any information 
about setting up the RTP session.

I am assuming (for the sake of this discussion) that RTP is not used with 
any other standards like H.323 or RSVP.  Is there some setup signaling used 
so that the receiver is informed of the port numbers (RTP and RTCP) that 
were decided for the session?

I read some document on the Internet that said Session Description Protocol 
(SDP) was used to communicate the port numbers.  However, I wasn't convince 
that this protocol was being used in applications like LiveMedia or 
Netmeeting.

Any information that you can share concerning the setup signaling will be 
appreciated.

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:28:27 +0000

>Any information that you can share concerning the setup signaling will be 

There is no built-in signalling in RTP, some other protocol must be used.
Applications use something like H.323, SIP, RTSP or SAP to setup the RTP
session. These protocols convey session descriptions, often in SDP format.

Colin

---

From: Ramana Yarlagadda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:28:30 +0530 (IST)

Patrcik,

In H323 umberalla standards H245 is used to setup an RTP session

-cheers
-ramana