Subject: 12/1 The Berkeley-MIT Citywalk Project: Towards Highly Interactive, Large-Scale Acquired Models --Richard Bukowski, Computer Science Division - EECS, U.C. Berkeley

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:59:34 -0800

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

The Berkeley-MIT Citywalk Project:  Towards Highly Interactive, Large-Scale
Acquired Models

Wednesday December 1, 1999 
1:00-2:30 p.m. PDT
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Richard Bukowski
Computer Science Division - EECS,  U.C. Berkeley 

Over the last year, groups at Berkeley and MIT have been working together
to merge the Berkeley Firewalk/Architectural Walkthrough system with the
MIT Citywalk city scanning project. The result is a system that combines
the highly interactive, simulation-enriched Berkeley visualization tools
with real-world data acquired by the MIT Argus probe and reconstructed into
exterior models of the as-built MIT campus. Our goal is to provide an
integrated system that has the ability to visualize models several orders
of magnitude larger than those we have previously rendered (i.e. the Soda
Hall interior), as well as to allow multiple distributed users to interact
with and run simulations on those models in a shared virtual world, and to
store and index semantic information about those models. Because our models
are derived from real-world data, they can be applied to real-world
problems such as site and building lifecycle management, construction
management, building plan evaluation, and fire safety training. 

This talk will present background and preliminary work on extending the
Walkthrough's database and systems to handle both outdoor environments and
distributed, multi-user database interaction and editing. These extensions
achieve these goals while preserving the viewpoint and data management
systems that allow Walkthrough to present huge, interactive models at
real-time frame rates. 
---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real
Networks G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player:

rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving
the announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually
configuring the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session
addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to
replays of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center 

____________________________________________

Florissa Colina
Berkeley Multimedia Research Center (BMRC)
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/
626 Soda Hall #1776
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
Phone: (510) 643-0800   FAX: (510) 642-5615  
Email: [email-masked]