Subject: RTCP-based Retransmissions for Unicast RTP Streams

From: Matt Podolsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 16:05:26 -0800 (PST)

Hello-

I'd like to announce the availability of
draft-podolsky-avt-rtprx-00.txt, written by Koichi
Yano, Steve McCanne, and myself.  It's a first cut at
creating a standard format for doing retransmissions of
unicast RTP streams.  We're very interested in getting
feedback from the group and improving it.

It can be found on the IETF website at:

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-podolsky-avt-rtprx-00.txt

The abstract is below.  Koichi and I will also be at
the IETF next week, and we have a slot in Wednesday's
session for discussion.

Thanks,
Matt

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Abstract:

   This note defines a retransmission request protocol for use with
   unicast Real Time Protocol (RTP) multimedia sessions.  We refer
   to this protocol as RTPRx.  The protocol is defined as a new RTCP
   type and is flexible enough to allow a variety of retransmission
   request and response schemes.  This note describes the basic format
   for retransmission requests, and provides examples of three different
   retransmission request-response algorithms which use different
   methods to determine if retransmissions should be requested and
   whether the requests should be served.