Subject: 11/10 Application Outsourcing: The Next Big Thing on the Internet -- Peter Newman, Ensim Corporation

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 09:30:00 -0800

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

Application Outsourcing: The Next Big Thing on the Internet

Wednesday, November 10, 1999, 
1:00-2:30 p.m. PST
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Peter Newman 
Ensim Corporation 

The current model for application distribution is deeply flawed. Customers
are forced to keep track of the latest version of each software, to size
their desktop machines to have sufficient power to deal with anticipated
application load, and to painfully recover from hardware failures. These
problems disappear overnight when applications are outsourced to
Application Service Providers (ASPs). Potentially, the shift of
applications from desktops to ASPs is as powerful and disruptive as the
introduction of the World Wide Web. However, ASPs too face severe scaling
problems in providing outsourced services to tens of thousands of
customers. In this talk, we will outline these problems and describe a
novel approach to solving them.

---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a RealNetworks
G2 broadcast. You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:
http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 

You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player:
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm
To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center