Subject: Distance Learning Experiment in Spring 2000

From: "Lawrence A. Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:30:34 -0800

Hi -

UC Berkeley now has in place the technology required to allow us 
to accept remote students into select classes.  We want to do an 
experiment during the spring 2000 semester in which we admit a limited 
number of remote students into our classes using concurrent 
enrollment through University Extension and Real Networks webcasting 
technology for distance/asynchronous learning.

The purpose of this message is to solicit your participation in this 
experiment by enrolling in one of the following courses:

   EECS 152 "Computer Architecture and Engineering" (5 units)
     Instructor: Professor Robert Broderson
     Meeting time: M/W/F 9:00-10:00 AM
   EECS 240 "Analog Integrated Circuit Design and Analysis" (3 units)
     Instructor: Professor Bernhard E. Boser
     Meeting time: T/Th 11:00-12:30 PM

EECS 152 is an undergraduate class and EECS 240 is a graduate class.
Detailed descriptions of these courses are given below.  

Qualified students will be admitted through concurrent enrollment 
at UC Berkeley Extension.  Lectures will be webcast live and 
stored for on-demand replay using Real Networks technology.  See the 
following web pages for examples:

   http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm
  
http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/projects/alps/classes/cs298-5/19990825/

Although this technology operates at lower bit-rates, it is 
strongly suggested that you have access to a broadband Internet 
connection with speeds higher than 250 Kbs.  As a student, you 
can view the live broadcast or watch lectures at a later time 
on-demand.  You will be expected to do all the assignments and 
take the same examinations as students enrolled on campus.  You 
will have a discussion section and TA assigned.  Course assignments 
will be distributed and turned in through the web.  You will 
have contact with the instructors and other students using email, 
a class newsgroup, and using traditional phone conferencing.  We 
will also be experimenting with a remote question link during the
lectures 
and a chat tool which will allow real time questions and answers.  
Special arrangements will be made for taking the examinations at 
or near your work location.

A limited number of students will be admitted to these classes.
Individuals interested in taking this courses and participating 
in this experiment should fill-in and submit the application form 
given below.  Students selected for the experiment will enroll 
through concurrent enrollment, which will cost $4,000 for EECS 152 
and $2,400 for EECS 240 (i.e., $800/unit), and will be given 
the appropriate access information required to take the course. 

If you have further questions please contact us.
        Larry Rowe
---
Professor Lawrence A. Rowe          Internet:  [email-masked]
Computer Science Division - EECS       Phone: 510-642-5117
University of California, Berkeley       Fax: 510-642-5615
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776            URL: http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/~larry

== Course Descriptions =======================

EECS 152 "Computer Architecture and Engineering" (5 Units)
Instructor: Professor Robert Broderson

Course Format: Three hours of lecture and two hours of 
discussion per week and one large design project.

Prerequisites: EECS 150 or equivalent.

Description: Instruction set design, Register Transfer. 
Computer design project requiring about 100 hours. 
Data-path design.  Controller design. Memory system. 
Addressing. Microprogramming. Computer arithmetic. 
Survey of real computers and microprocessors.

----------------------------------------------

EECS 240 "Analog Integrated Circuit Design and Analysis" (3 units)
Instructor: Professor Bernhard E. Boser

Course Format: Three hours of lecture per week.

Prerequisites: EECS 140 or equivalent.

Description: Analysis and optimized design of monolithic 
operational amplifiers and wide-band amplifiers; methods of 
achieving wide-band amplification, gain-bandwidth considerations; 
analysis of noise in integrated circuits and low noise design.  
Precision passive elements, analog switches, amplifiers and 
comparators, voltage reference in NMOS and CMOS circuits. 
Serial successive-approximation, and parallel analog-to-digital 
converters. Switched-capacitor and CCD filters.  Applications to 
codecs and modems.

==============================================

== Application Form ==========================

Name:
Email Address:
Postal Address:
Educational Background:
Course Enrolling In:  EECS 152  or  EECS 240
Desktop Computer and OS:
Internet Connection/Speed:

Why do you want to take this course?

Please include a copy of your resume.

Send form to [email-masked]
===============================================