Subject: Hot Topic - Call for Paper

From: Jorg Nonnenmacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:31:10 -0500

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

X-Mailer: exmh version 2.0.2 2/24/98
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Hot Topic - Call for Paper
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:31:10 -0500
From: Jorg Nonnenmacher <[email-masked]>

CALL FOR PAPERS:

Special Issue of Computer Communications on

      Integrating Multicast into the Internet
      ---------------------------------------

CFP URL:      http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~almeroth/COMCOM:cfp.html
Journal URL:  http://www.elsevier.com/inca/publications/store/5/2/5/4/4/0/

TOPICS:

The amount of bandwidth available in the Internet is increasing
dramatically, both in the backbone networks, as well as in the last mile
(broadband access). One consequence is that the delivery of high-quality
multimedia data will become feasible, and multimedia data, including audio
and video, will become the dominant traffic. As more users gain access to
broadband services, new applications and services will become possible. The
result will be a growing demand for large-scale multimedia applications and
services.

Multicasting as a pure networking solution to the transport of media is
recognized as offering economies-of-scale for large-scale applications.
Multicast is also believed to enable applications which provide service to
thousands, even millions of customers. While there has been significant
research work on multicast, efforts to successfully deploy a production
service have lagged. Reasons range from frequently changing protocols,
management and engineering problems, legacy hardware limitations, traffic
conflicts with unicast, etc.. This special issue focuses on research issues
dealing with the challenges of deploying multicast in the network. Specific
topics include, but are not limited to:

    * Multicast Congestion Control
    * Multicast Overlay Networks
    * Next-Generation Multicast Routing Algorithms
    * Multicast Media Transport
    * Security for Multicast-Based Services                      
    * Multicast Traffic Engineering and Management
    * Multicast Pricing and Quality of Service

GUEST EDITORS:

Kevin Almeroth                    Jorg Nonnenmacher
Department of Computer Science    Network Research Dept, Lucent Technologies
University of California          600-700 Mountain Avenue
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5110      Murray Hill, NJ 07974-0636
Phone: +1(805) 893-2777           Phone: +1(908) 582-1707
Fax: +1(805) 893-8553             Fax: +1(908) 582-6632
Email: [email-masked]       Email: [email-masked]

IMPORTANT DATES:

    Paper Submission Deadline:    February 1, 2000
    Feedback to Authors:          May 1, 2000            
    Final Manuscripts Due:        June 1, 2000
    Publication Date:             Fall 2000

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:

Authors are requested to send e-mail to one or both of the Guest Editors
([email-masked], [email-masked]) giving a URL from
where a postscript or PDF file can be downloaded. Successfully received
papers will be acknowledged.

AUTHOR INFORMATION:

Submissions made to the special issue should not have appeared in, or been
submitted to other archival publications. All papers will be subjected to
the journal's usual refereeing process.

------- End of Blind-Carbon-Copy