Subject: RE: need IEEE/1394 to USB conversion

From: Bill Nowicki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:20:26 -0700

> I am purchasing a video camera that has a IEEE/1394 port on it, however,
> my machines all have USB on them, including my laptop.

My guess would be that your 1394 camera uses the "DV" video format, IEC
standard 61883, which needs about 30 Mbits per second of bandwidth. So
getting it through a USB port that is only 12 Mbits per second will not
work. Yes, I know a faster USB 2.0 has been announced, but probably not what
you have. I would suggest: use USB for still cameras, and 1394 for video. So
if you want to use a still camera, return it for a USB one. If you want
video, buy a $50 1394 adapter (more of course for laptops) or get a computer
that has 1394 on it. Sony calls it "i.Link", Apple, "FireWire".

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:06:17 -0400 (EDT)

hmm

I don't know how to interpret the output of this.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge
(rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge
(rev 03)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:02.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:02.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:02.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)

looks like the controller is USB version1.

_J