Subject: 8/30 The Future of Interactive Television -- Lawrence A. Rowe, Computer Science Division - EECS, U.C. Berkeley

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:42:45 -0700

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

The Future of Interactive Television

Wednesday August 30, 2000, 
1:10-2:30 p.m. PDT
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Lawrence A. Rowe
Computer Science Division - EECS, U.C. Berkeley 

Traditional broadcast television programs are composed of one video stream,
fixed image size, and fixed
picture quality. Interaction is limited to changing channels unless you
have access to a service like WebTV.
Many companies are developing technology that will allow traditional
television to be distributed over the
Internet, so called "Internet TV." 

This talk will discuss features that can be exploited using Internet TV
including multiple video streams,
interaction between participants, and variable quality streams. In spite of
these technical capabilities, most
Internet Webcasts today are produced using traditional television
technologies and are constrained to the
limitations of traditional television broadcasting. 

Research on developing computer-based webcasting technology will be
described that exploits capabilities of
this new medium including broadcast management, video-effects processing,
and live production control. The
use of this technology to produce this seminar and the Berkeley Internet
Broadcasting System (BIBS) Class
Lecture Webcasts will be described.

---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/cs298-5

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center