Subject: [AVT] possibly off topic: how to detect a break in syndicated programming material

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:56:42 -0500 (EST)

Hi there,

I don't know whether this is off topic or not, probably is, but perhaps
somebody that reads this will be able to get me some answers.

I am looking for a method of determining when a break is coming and how
long that break will be.  Sometimes, I can hear bleeding from a video
signal if the audio channels were poorly taken and can detect a fade to
black, or if the network has a little quirk that distinguishes its
programming from local inserts, but that doesn't even help because the
networks run their own spots, thus making it difficult to determine the
wanted program material from the advertisements or promotionals.

Is it possible there is a hidden bit of information coded in the extra
bandwidth on an audio or video carrier?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Next time you watch a
program, ask yourself how you instinctively know where the break is.  Once
the start is located, it is probably simple to guestomate the length--most
shows are predictible.

_J

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt