Subject: [AVT] draft-friedman-avt-rtcp-report-extns-02.txt

From: "Timur Friedman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 00:17:38 +0100

Hello,

We have updated the RTCP Reporting Extensions Internet Draft.  As agreed at
the Pittsburgh IETF awhile back, the draft defines a new RTCP packet type:
type 205, the XR (extended reporting) packet.  The XR packet allows for RTP
participants to report much more detailed information than allowed by
default in RR and SR packets.

This update follows experience with successful deployment of the packet as
an APP packet, as described in the following two publications:

"The Use of End-to-End Multicast Measurements for Characterizing Internal
Network Behavior," A. Adams, T. Bu, R. Cáceres, N.G. Duffield, T. Friedman,
J. Horowitz, F. Lo Presti, S.B. Moon, V. Paxson, D. Towsley,  IEEE
Communications Magazine, May 2000.

"Impromptu measurement infrastructures using RTP," R. Caceres, N.G.
Duffield, T. Friedman, Proc. IEEE Infocom 2002, New York, June 23-27, 2002,
to appear.

We hope to advance the Internet-Draft to Experimental RFC status, and look
forward to your comments.

Regards,

Timur Friedman