Subject: [AVT] Comments on draft-ietf-avt-tcrtp-05.txt

From: Ram Jagadeesan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:39:01 -0800

Folks,

I've reviewed draft-ietf-avt-tcrtp-05.txt, and find no major
problems with it.
It is a very useful scheme, especially for RTP multiplexing
for trunking applications over bandwidth constrained links.

Most of my comments are editorial in nature.

Content:
2.3.1 The content of 1st paragraph, in section 2.3.1 in page 5, is not clear.
It describes an implementation which seems to be similar to the
recommended implementation in section 4, and states that there is a
problem with this implementation. It is not clear what this problem is, and 
how
the subsequent material in this section follows from this problem statement.

Editorial:

1.4 "A lot of context is required to successfully run CRTP, and this context
   and processing time is difficult, especially if multiple hops must
   implement CRTP to save bandwidth on each of the hops."
Suggest rephrasing. Say "and memory and processing requirements are high" 
instead of
"and this context and processing time is difficult"

2.1 "The most straightforward is to implement TCRTP in the gateway 
terminating the
   RTP streams"
Change to TCRTP in the gateways

2.2.1 Is this section a description of ECRTP options that need to be chosen 
for TCRTP ?
If not, you could refer [ECRTP] for the details, and not elaborate here.

2.3 a) "Both CRTP and ECRTP requires a layer two protocol which allows
   identifying different protocols."
Change to "Both CRTP and ECRTP require ..."

b) "During PPP establishment of the TCRTP tunnel, only LCP and IPCP (for
   header compression) is required"
Change to " ... LCP and IPCP (for header compression) are required"

2.3.1 "For example, the transmission logic of the PPP transmitter
   could be modified to collect incoming payloads until one of two
   conditions occurred:"
Change to either "one of two conditions has been met" or
"one of two events has occurred"

2.3.2
Two sentences seem slightly redundant

3.2
"The optimal value of N will depend on the loss rate in the tunnel. "
Define N

3.3
a) IPID-RATIO
Why is this called a Ratio ? Is IPID-TYPE more appropriate ?

b) "Indicate the frequency IPID will be updated by the compressor. "
Change to "Indicates the frequency at which IPID will be updated by the 
compressor. "

Regards,

Ram
__________________________________________________________________________

  Ram Jagadeesan                                              Cisco 
Systems, Inc.
  [email-masked]                          170 W. Tasman Dr, San 
Jose,  CA 95134
__________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt