Subject: [AVT] clarification on RTCP minimum interval in AV profile

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:26:55 -0600

Hello, 

In the revised AV profile (draft-ietf-avt-profile-new-12.txt) section 2, it is described how the RTCP interval should be computed. 

RTCP report interval: The suggested constants are to be used for
             the RTCP report interval calculation.  Sessions operating
             under this profile MAY specify a separate parameter for the
             RTCP traffic bandwidth rather than using the default
             fraction of the session bandwidth. The RTCP traffic
             bandwidth MAY be divided into two separate session
             parameters for those participants which are active data
             senders and those which are not. Following the
             recommendation in the RTP specification [2] that 1/4 of the
             RTCP bandwidth be dedicated to data senders, the
             RECOMMENDED default values for these two parameters would
             be 1.25% and 3.75%, respectively. For a particular session,
             the RTCP bandwidth for non-data-senders MAY be set to zero
             when operating on unidirectional links or for sessions that
             don't require feedback on the quality of reception. The
             RTCP bandwidth for data senders SHOULD be kept non-zero so
             that sender reports can still be sent for inter-media
             synchronization and to identify the source by CNAME. The
             means by which the one or two session parameters for RTCP
             bandwidth are specified is beyond the scope of this memo.        
            
I find it confusing that there is no mention  of the minimum interval described in RTP. Or should it be understood from the sentence 'The suggested constants are to be used for  the RTCP report interval calculation' that the recommended value for the fixed minimum interval given in RTP must be used in this profile?

Thanks, David.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt