Subject: [AVT] RTP over TCP.

From: "Ethen Bommaiah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:45:47 -0700

Hi,

I was looking at the RTP FAQ page at
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/faq.html
Under "Why doesn't RTP have a length field ?", it mentions: "If RTP is used
with a
protocol that is not message-based (e.g., TCP) or if it is desirable to
carry several RTP
packets in one lower-layer PDU (e.g., for aggregation of streams), it is
trivial to define
a profile that prefixes the RTP header by a 16 or 32-bit length field,
depending on the
desired tradeoff between overhead and maintaining word alignment."

I was curious to know if there were any standard profiles that define
transferring RTP
packets over TCP. In particular, we were interested in transferring RTP data
over TCP
while using RTSP as the control protocol.

Thanks,
Ethen

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 12:17:43 -0700

>while using RTSP as the control protocol.

Yes - see section 10.12 of the RTSP specification (RFC 2326).  This defines 
how RTP packets may be carried over the RTSP (TCP) stream.  (This is 
actually not a new RTP 'profile', but instead, an optonal mechanism defined 
within RTSP.)

         Ross.

---

From: Ram Kordale <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:50:46 -0700

Ross,

Section 10.12 describes only the interleaving case. What about the case 
where RTP and RTCP data need to be transferred on separate TCP connections? 
This will need a separate profile. Does such a profile exist?

Thanks.
Ram

At 12:17 PM 5/8/2002 -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>Yes - see section 10.12 of the RTSP specification (RFC 2326).  This 
>defines how RTP packets may be carried over the RTSP (TCP) stream.  (This 
>is actually not a new RTP 'profile', but instead, an optonal mechanism 
>defined within RTSP.)
>
>         Ross.
>
>

---

From: Ram Kordale <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:05:29 -0700

Ross,

Section 10.12 describes what needs to be done if the client requests 
"interleaved" data and control. Ethen is talking about the case when the 
data (rtp and rtcp) needs to go on separate TCP connnections. Is there a 
profile for this?

Thanks.
Ram