Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: MIME Type Registration of RTP Payload Formats to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 16:56:48 -0400

The IESG has approved the following two documents as Proposed
Standards:

 o MIME Type Registration of RTP Payload Formats
	<draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mime-06.txt> 
 o SDP Bandwidth Modifiers for RTCP Bandwidth
	<draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-bw-05.txt> 

These documents are the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
   
 The "MIME Type Registration of RTP Payload Formats" document defines the
 procedure to be used to register RTP Payload Formats as audio, video or
 other MIME subtype names. MIME types for RTP formats require additional
 information beyond the minimum required by RFC 2048 and this is specified
 in the document. MIME type information can be useful in a text-based format 
 or control protocol to identify the type of an RTP transmission. This document
 also registers all the RTP payload formats defined in the RTP Profile for
 Audio and Video Conferences as MIME subtypes. Some of these may also be
 used for transfer modes other than RTP, as specified.

 "SDP Bandwidth Modifiers for Real-time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP) 
 Bandwidth" defines an extension to the Session Description Protocol (SDP) to 
 specify two additional modifiers for the bandwidth attribute. These modifiers 
 may be used to specify the bandwidth allowed for RTCP packets in a Real-Time
 Transport Protocol (RTP) session, for instance, to allow dynamic modification
 of this by a congestion avoidance protocol, or to allow setting the sending
 of control traffic by nodes that are not actively sending media traffic to
 zero.

 Working Group Summary
   
   The working group supported the publication of these documents.
   
 Protocol Quality
   
   These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt