Subject: [AVT] iLBC speech codec, questions on the patents comment in the C code

From: Taddei Herve ICM MP PO8 RD MCH83 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 10:26:24 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

I followed with interest the discussion on the iLBC codec issue. It is
always interesting to have a codec which is IPR free if the quality is ok.

We used the provided C code programm to generate our own decoded files. I
have a comment, on page 145 the following comments are inserted in the
fonction smath:
    /* create shape of contribution from all waveforms except  
       current one this is called "y" in the patent, i.e. y=surround*/ 
and then later on the same page:
       w00 = w10 = w11 = 0.0; 
       psseq=sseq+hl*blockl; /* current block ("x_0" in patent) */ 

What are these patents? I thought the codec was patent free!

Best regards.

Hervé
    
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
> Hervé Taddei			Siemens AG
> ICM MP PO8 RD MCH 83	Information and Communication Mobile
> Tel.	+49 89 722 59068	Grillparzerstrasse 10 a
> Mobile.	+49 17 557 21346	81675 Munich
> Fax. 	+49 89 722 59070	Germany
mailto:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 11:39:36 +0100

>What are these patents? I thought the codec was patent free!

We received the enclosed IPR statement regarding the iLBC codec (you should
be able to find this on the IETF website also).

Colin

>From: "Alan Duric" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
>Subject: IPR notice - Global IP Sound draft-andersen-ilbc-00.txt
>Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:17:21 +0100
>Message-ID: <003701c1bbee$b3f12360$35c8a8c0@pavarotti>
>
>Hi,
>
>Please find enclosed IPR notice related to freeware nature of today
>(22-FEB-02) submitted draft:
>
>draft-andersen-ilbc-00.txt
>
>Regards,
>
>Alan Duric
>Global IP Sound AB
>________________________________________________________________________
>Internet Standards Process:
>Intellectual Property Rights Statement of Global IP Sound, A.B
>GIPS iLBC Freeware (Internet low-bit rate codec)
>
>Global IP Sound AB and its subsidiaries ("GIPS") would like to clarify 
>their position with respect to any patent applications associated with 
>its submission of GIPS iLBC Freeware (internet low bit-rate codec) to 
>the IETF for standards consideration.
>
>GIPS may seek patent protection regarding technology submitted to the 
>IETF for use in standards. GIPS requests that notice of any GIPS patent 
>application be managed in accordance with 10.3.2 of RFC 2026 Best 
>Current Practice, Internet Standards Process (Bradner, October 1996). 
>
>If GIPS has any patents or pending applications for GIPS technology 
>submitted to the IETF and the technology is required to fully implement 
>and comply with any standard arising from the GIPS iLBC Freeware 
>standards process, GIPS provides this written assurance that it intends 
>to provide, upon written request from a party implementing the IETF 
>standard technology, a royalty-free license for any party to implement, 
>use, and distribute the technology or works when implementing, using, or 
>distributing technology based upon the specific specifications under 
>openly specified, reasonable, non-discriminatory terms, solely to the 
>extent such technology is essential to comply with such standard, and 
>provided a reciprocal license is granted to GIPS and other parties under 
>any patents or pending applications that the license applicant has to 
>any technology essential to implement that IETF standard, in accordance 
>with 10.3.2 of RFC 2026 Best Current Practice, Internet Standards 
>Process (Bradner, October 1996).
>
>This document and the information contained herein are provided on an 
>"AS IS" basis. THE CONTRIBUTORS AND GIPS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, 
>EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE 
>USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY 
>IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR 
>PURPOSE.
>
>
>Requests may be sent to: 
>
>Geoffrey M. Creighton, General Counsel 
>Global IP Sound, Inc. 
>900 Kearny Street, 5th Floor 
>San Francisco, CA 94133-5124, USA
>
>Telephone: +1 415 397 2555 
>e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "Alan Duric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 14:42:02 +0200

Hi Herve,

iLBC is a freeware, not IPR free. As Colin has stated there is an IPR
statement available under
(http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/GLOBAL-IP-ANDERSON.txt) from where You can
see that it is a royalty-free license for any party to implement, use,
and distribute it.

Regards/alan

________________________________________________________________________
____________
Cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi hanc marginis exiguitas
non caperet. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Colin Perkins
> Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 12:40 PM
> To: Taddei Herve ICM MP PO8 RD MCH83
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [AVT] iLBC speech codec, questions on the 
> patents comment in the C code 
> 
> 
> >always interesting to have a codec which is IPR free if the 
> quality is 
> >ok.
> >
> >We used the provided C code programm to generate our own 
> decoded files. 
> >I have a comment, on page 145 the following comments are inserted in 
> >the fonction smath:
> We received the enclosed IPR statement regarding the iLBC 
> codec (you should be able to find this on the IETF website also).
> 
> Colin
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> >_____________________________________________________________
> __________
> >_