Subject: [AVT] (no subject)

From: Kreuter Ruediger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:17:41 +0200

Dear All,

Media Gateways connecting a TDM network with a Voice over IP network
have to support any kind of traffic, that can appear in the TDM world.
In case of ISDN data terminals, the generated traffic must not be codec
with any of the usual voice Codecs, including G.711 A/U-law 64kbit/s.
In that case the traffic shall be transported (i.e. just packetized)
transparently on top of RTP (no silence suppression/cancellation allowed,
Jitter Buffer as for "voice band datacall").

Unfortunately there is no registered mime type for this "pseudo codec"
(called "Transparent" or "Transparent Mode" or "Clear Channel" or
"Clearmode" ...), which makes it hard to achive a vendor independent 
interworking during call setup for such a connection.
To overcome this problem, draft-kreuter-avt-rtp-clearmode-00.txt is an 
attempt to get a public IANA registration for this "pseudo-codec", see
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kreuter-avt-rtp-clearmode-00.txt

Any comments/suggestions according this draft are welcome.

Best regards

Rüdiger Kreuter
Siemens AG
D-81359 Munich
Tel    +49 89 722 62553
Fax    +49 89 722 130 62553
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt