Subject: [AVT] RFC2833(bis): Duration = 0

From: "Prabhu, Raghavendra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:40:55 -0700

Hi listeners,

The draft says

             The special duration value of 0 is reserved to indicate      |
             that the event lasts "forever", i.e., is a state and is      |
             considered to be effective until updated. For robustness,    |
             the sender SHOULD still retransmit the named event           |
             periodically.

1) From an implementation perspective, if we receive Event packet with '0'
duration, is this event supposed to be played out infinitely until either
the 'End-bit' or a new timestamp ?  What are consequences if the 'End-bit'
packets (even if transmitted multiple times) get lost and the other side is
then in a mode of DTX (discontinuous transmission), will this mean the tone
gets elongated beyond actual length ?

2) Also what does RFC2833 say about the expected behaviour when duration is
0 for tone packet (the other kind of rfc2833 packet) ? 

Thanks,
Raghavendra

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:16:12 -0400

As indicated, this should only occur for states, not regular tones, such 
as DTMF. This is not defined for tone packets; I will make a note of it. 
(I don't think you want this for tone packets, following the soft-state 
principle.)