Subject: [AVT] AV streams

From: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 01:11:15 -0400

I was watching streaming A/V on www.launch.yahoo.com yesterday and I began
thinking. Is this media transported in accordance with rfc 3389? With the
RTP format with the A/V stream as payload.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:16:28 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Bill Cunningham wrote:

> thinking.

That would seem to make a change.

[Those of you not familiar with Bill's trolling on the [email-masked]
list may want to check its archives.]

L.

> Is this media transported in accordance with rfc 3389? With the

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><[email-masked]>

---

From: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:06:39 -0400

> > RTP format with the A/V stream as payload.
Lloyd, I'm trying to be serious and make changes. You're trying to give me a
bad rap on every list I've subscribed to. Do you have any answers? (I
don't.)

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:09:03 -0400

--> "Bill Cunningham" writes:
>> > I was watching streaming A/V on www.launch.yahoo.com yesterday and I
>> > began thinking.  Is this media transported in accordance with rfc
>> > 3389? With the RTP format with the A/V stream as payload.
>
>bad rap on every list I've subscribed to. Do you have any answers? (I don't.)

Assuming this is a serious question, for once.

It is unlikely that the a/v stream from Yahoo used RFC 3389, because that
format is inappropriate for this sort of application (it's intended to be
used in voice-over-IP applications using codecs without native comfort
noise support).

It is possible that the Yahoo streams used RTP with another standard
payload format. All the major streaming media applications (e.g.  Real,
QuickTime, Windows Media) are capable of using these standards and have
been shown to interoperate with other tools using the standards. Those
tools also support a number of proprietary codecs and transport formats.
Which was actually used depends on the particular tool used, and how it
was configured. 

Colin