Subject: [AVT] Question on RTP and RTSP

From: "Soyoung Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:18:12 +0900

Dear experts,

I wonder what is the difference between RTP and RTSP.
In my understanding, RTP is used for real-time voice and streaming service.
Then, what is the RTSP?

Thanks in advance.
 ===========================
  Soyoung Lee
  LG Electronics Inc. Korea

  e-mail: [email-masked]
  phone: +82-31-450-7859
  fax: +82-31-450-7912
===========================

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:17:15 +0100

Hi,

The easiest way of answering your question is to go read the
introduction of RTSP in the specification, see RFC 2326. But in a few
sentence. Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) is a control protocol. It
acts like your VCR remote but over the Internet. RTSP controlled
sessions commonly use RTP for data transport, but also other protocol
can be used.

Regards

Magnus

Soyoung Lee wrote:

> e-mail: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> phone: +82-31-450-7859
> fax: +82-31-450-7912

-- 

Magnus Westerlund 

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research ERA/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: "Matthew Romaine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:12:53 +0900

A quick search on Google (<0.5seconds), revealed this helpful link:

http://www.rtsp.org/2001/faq.html#rtp_rtcp_rtsp

8. What is the relationship between RTP, RTCP and RTSP?
RTP is a transport protocol for the delivery of real-time data,
including streaming audio and video. RTCP is a part of RTP and helps
with lip synchronization and QOS management, among others. RTSP is a
control protocol for initiating and directing delivery of streaming
multimedia from media servers, the "Internet VCR remote control
protocol". RTSP does not deliver data, though the RTSP connection may be
used to tunnel RTP traffic for ease of use with firewalls and other
network devices. RTP and RTSP will likely be used together in many
systems, but either protocol can be used without the other. The RTSP
specification contains a section on the use of RTP with RTSP.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Soyoung Lee
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 2:18 PM
To: avt
Subject: [AVT] Question on RTP and RTSP

Dear experts,
 
I wonder what is the difference between RTP and RTSP.
In my understanding, RTP is used for real-time voice and streaming
service.
Then, what is the RTSP?
 
Thanks in advance.