Subject: Re: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-uncomp-video-00.txt

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:02:01 -0700

> John Lazzaro wrote:
> > 
> [...]
> >
> > A DVI RTP packetization becomes more interesting if it includes
> > lossless compression options, using algorithms whose encoding
> > and decoding are doable for ASICs or FPGAs 
>
> You wouldn't be thinking of JPEG2000, would you?

No, I would think you would really want a lossless compression system
that is tuned to the requirements -- a display interface has unique
issues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Chuck Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:31:52 -0700

John,

Interestingly, the DDWG standards http://www.ddwg.org defining DVI
anticipate some sort of compression -- certainly there are a lot
of still images in typical usage -- but I am not aware of any
genuine activity in this area.

FWIW I am told that you can "dial up" JPEG2K to operate in a
mathematically lossless mode -- but AFAIK that doesn't address
the massive temporal redundancy in typical workstation video.

Since one has to support the worst-case peak rate ~4Gb/s anyhow,
there is little advantage to compression in a single-station
installation. I guess it doesn't really pay off until you are
involved in a shared pipe and can get the stat-mux benefits.
And shared pipes >>4Gb/s are still a rarity.

Cheers,
  Chuck