Subject: [AVT] ULP FEC question

From: "Xtine Pepin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:55:32 -0700

Hello,

I am new to the mailing list and currently working on improving the robustness of VoIP applications to packet losses.
I would have a question regarding the draft entitled "An RTP payload format for generic FEC with uneven level protection". 
I don't really see how UEP is achieved in the third example with 2 protection levels (p. 17). Is ULP level 1 (for ULP packet #2) performed on all 4 packets or simply the last two? Are you automatically generating a new ULP packet for every protection level? 

Thank you all in advance!

-Christine Pepin

---

From: "Adam Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:43:26 -0700

Hi Christine,

In the example in section 8.3 of that draft (p.17), the protection is
done in the following in that particular case.

ULP packet #1 protects Packet A, B for the first L0 bytes.

ULP packet #2 protects Packet C, D for the first L0 bytes, 
and Packet A, B, C, and D for the following L1 bytes.

So to answer your question, the ULP level 1 for ULP packet #2 performs
on the last two packets (C and D). 

If the protection grouping is applied according to the very simple rules
(particularly rule <c>) described in Section 5.3, then the ULP packets
always start with Level 0. In other words, the ULP packets can only be 

(1) Level 0;
(2) Level 0 + level 1;
(3) Level 0 + level 1 + level 2;
(4) etc.

This is also illustrated in the samples in the following sections.

Hope it helps. If there are any more questions, please let me know. I
would be happy to clarify and help.

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Xtine
Pepin
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 12:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] ULP FEC question

Hello,
 
I am new to the mailing list and currently working on improving the
robustness of VoIP applications to packet losses.
I would have a question regarding the draft entitled "An RTP payload
format for generic FEC with uneven level protection". 
I don't really see how UEP is achieved in the third example with 2
protection levels (p. 17). Is ULP level 1 (for ULP packet #2) performed
on all 4 packets or simply the last two? Are you automatically
generating a new ULP packet for every protection level? 

-Christine Pepin

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt