Subject: [AVT] draft-kreuter-avt-rtp-clearmode-00.txt

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:09:20 -0400

I have several comments on the subject draft.  The first is that the
proposed payload type would fulfil an useful role.  I would like the draft
to move forward.  It occupies a different niche from the voice-band data
proposals, for instance, which are frankly addressed to transport of modem
tones encoded within G.711.

This brings me to my next point.  There is no intent that CLEARMODE data
should ever be presented by an audio transceiver, contrary to the definition
of that media type in RFC 2046.  As I see it, the two applicable
possibilities are the SDP type "data", which is not a MIME media type, or
the MIME type "application".  The reason this wouldn't simply be
"application/octet-stream" is its specific restriction to 64 kbit/s (or
multiples thereof), with 8000 samples per second.

My third point is that the layer under RTP has not been specified.  Is that
intentional, or did the author assume UDP?

A related point is that encoding considerations are too restrictive.  They
should say that transport over TDM is also applicable (besides transport
over RTP).

Finally, it would be nice if this could be extended to N x 64 kbit/s, but
not at the risk of the basic proposal.

Tom Taylor
[email-masked]
Ph. +1 613 736 0961 (ESN 396 1490)
 
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt