Subject: [AVT] Proposed change to Enhanced CRTP

From: Tmima Koren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:41:24 -0700

We'd like to propose a change to the Enhanced CRTP draft, 
draft-ietf-avt-crtp-enhance-07.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-crtp-enhance-07.txt

One of the enhancements is to add a Headers Checksum (HDRCKSUM) when UDP 
checksum is not present (see section 2.2).
The UDP checksum is used by the decompressor to periodically validate the 
reconstructed packets. When not present,
a HDRCKSUM may be inserted by the compressor replacing the missing UDP 
checksum. The decompressor removes the HDRCKSUM after validating the 
reconstructed packet.

Currently the HDRCKSUM covers the pseudo-IP header, the UDP header and the 
fixed part of the RTP header (first 12 bytes).
Those are the only parts of the reconstructed packet that can be validated 
by the HDRCKSUM.
The CSRC list is not included in the HDRCKSUM.

We propose to include the CSRC list in the HDRCKSUM since the CSRC list is 
part of the header compression context.

The CSRC list is stored at the decompressor context and inserted to the 
restored packets. If the HDRCKSUM does not cover the CSRC list and the CSRC 
list at the decompressor is errored, a bad CSRC list will be restored into 
multiple packets until the CSRC
list changes and is resent by the compressor as an update.
If the HDRCKSUM covers the CSRC list, an error in the CSRC list will be 
caught early and corrected.

When there is a change in the CSRC list, the CSRC list is sent as an update 
to the context.
The CSRC list should be treated in the same way as the other context 
updating changes and be included in the HDRCKSUM.

On the other hand, adding the CSRC list to the HDRCKSUM requires more 
processing calculating the HDRCKSUM. Also if
the accuracy of the CSRC list is not crucial and the CSRC list is included 
in the HDRCKSUM, then an error in the CSRC list
will result in dropping a few packets while the contexts are getting 
synchronized.

The proposed change to the text is as follows:

Old:

    The HDRCKSUM is calculated in the same way as a UDP checksum except
    that it does not cover all of the UDP data.  That is, the HDRCKSUM is
    the 16-bit one's complement of the one's complement sum of the
    pseudo-IP header (as defined for UDP), the UDP header, and the first
    12 bytes of the UDP data which are assumed to hold the fixed part of
    an RTP header.  The extended part of the RTP header and the RTP data
    will not be included in the HDRCKSUM.

New:

    The HDRCKSUM is calculated in the same way as a UDP checksum except
    that it does not cover all of the UDP data.  That is, the HDRCKSUM is
    the 16-bit one's complement of the one's complement sum of the
    pseudo-IP header (as defined for UDP), the UDP header,     the first
                                                           ^^^^
    12 bytes of the UDP data which are assumed to hold the fixed part of
    an RTP header, and the CSRC list.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The extended part of the RTP header beyond the CSRC list and the RTP data
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    will not be included in the HDRCKSUM.

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:14:43 -0700 (PDT)

The change to the Enhanced CRTP draft proposed in the message enclosed
below has received no objections on the AVT mailing list.  The change
was also discussed in the AVT session at the IETF meeting just
concluded in Vienna, where comments in favor were received.
Therefore, we consider this change request to be appropriately
reviewed by the working group and accepted.

                                                        -- Steve

>     an RTP header, and the CSRC list.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt