Subject: [AVT] Vienna status reports ...

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:34:05 -0700

Hi everyone,

	I won't be presenting at Vienna, however, here are quick
status reports for the "RTP MIDI" and "RTP framing for TCP/TLS" I-Ds:

draft-ietf-avt-mwpp-midi-rtp-08
-------------------------------

	This is the normative RTP MIDI I-D. Two revisions since San
Francisco, to address MMA concerns and to achieve compatibility with
all of the MMA standards.

	Presently, I'm recoding sfront networking to support RTP MIDI.
In doing so, I expect to catch some RTP MIDI protocol bugs.  I may
also do a tiny RTSP RTP MIDI server, and add RTSP sfront support, to
catch content-streaming bugs, if time permits.

	Once this coding work is complete, I plan to update the I-D
with bugfixes, add in changes in response to any additional comments I
receive on the document, and issue a Last Call document.  Most
probably well before the Minneapolis submission deadline.

draft-lazzaro-avt-mwpp-coding-guidelines-03
-------------------------------------------

	This is the "RTP MIDI Implementation Guidelines" informative
I-D.  One revision since San Francisco, to trim away most RTP-generic
content, and leave a shorter I-D that focuses on RTP MIDI specific
implementation issues.

	Several months ago, I requested WG item status for this I-D,
because I believe that RTP MIDI implementors should read it before
starting their design.  If the WG agrees, I'll submit a relabeled I-D,
and then put this I-D and the normative I-D up for Last Call
concurrently.

draft-lazzaro-avt-rtp-framing-contrans-01
-----------------------------------------

	This is the RTP framing over connection-oriented transport
I-D.  In response to comments in San Francisco, I rewrote the I-D,
removing the RTSP support, and adding RTP/AVP fmt token definitions
for use with TCP and TLS.  The new document is only 8 pages long.

	Further action on this document awaits the revised AVT WG
charter, and also awaits the mmusic WG reaching consensus on
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-comedia.

----

	I had hoped to also have input on ideas for adding audio
synchronization support to the IETF multimedia toolkit, as a potential
AVT WG charter addition.  Unfortunately, the I-Ds above took
precedence ... I think its important to focus on moving RTP MIDI out
to Last Call, so further work on synchronization will probably start
after the RTP MIDI I-D writing work completes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt