Subject: RE: [AVT] RFC3711, MKI length question

From: "Sylvain Latulippe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:47:48 -0400

Hi,

I also assume that MKI length and n_tag are initialized at session configuration and won't change. I don't see any cases where it would be necessary to modify these values during a session.

Sylvain

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Ofer Goren
Sent: 13 mai, 2004 10:22
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] RFC3711, MKI length question

Hi all.

According to the RFC, Section 3.3, bullet 3, one should use the MKI (if exist in the packet) to retrieve the master key in the crypto context.
My question is this, and it is implementation related: if I need to use the MKI, I need to know its length before. Can I assume the user (user application) sets and stores the value on a per-session base? This means that all MKIs associated with that session has the same length.
The same goes to n_tag parameter.

Thanks, 

Ofer Goren

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:53:34 -0700

At 07:47 AM 5/13/2004, Sylvain Latulippe wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I also assume that MKI length and n_tag are initialized at session 
>configuration and won't change.

Yes.

>I don't see any cases where it would be necessary to modify these values 
>during a session.

I don't either.

Mark

>According to the RFC, Section 3.3, bullet 3, one should use the MKI (if 
>exist in the packet) to retrieve the master key in the crypto context.
>My question is this, and it is implementation related: if I need to use 
>the MKI, I need to know its length before. Can I assume the user (user 
>application) sets and stores the value on a per-session base? This means 
>that all MKIs associated with that session has the same length.