Subject: [AVT] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:08:41 -0500

All,

Please review and comment on the updated version of 'Protocol Extensions for ECRTP over MPLS' http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt.  The protocol extensions enable the use of MPLS to route enhanced compressed RTP (ECRTP) compressed packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression cycles at each router.  

The proposed extensions are based on the requirements documented in 'Requirements for Header Compression over MPLS' http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-00.txt.

Comments received on the 00 version have been incorporated, in particular, those comments discussed in:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/avt/current/msg03404.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/avt/current/msg03412.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/avt/current/msg03501.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/avt/current/msg03502.html

Thanks,
Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 3:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for ECRTP over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2004-5-3
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP. When MPLS labels 
are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels. For an MPLS VPN, 
the packet header is at least 48 bytes, while the voice payload is often 
no more than 30 bytes, for example. Header compression can significantly 
reduce the overhead through various compression mechanisms, such as 
enhanced compressed RTP (ECRTP). We consider using MPLS to route ECRTP 
compressed packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression 
cycles at each router. Such an ECRTP over MPLS capability can increase 
the bandwidth efficiency as well as processing scalability of the 
maximum number of simultaneous compressed flows that use header 
compression at each router.  In this draft we propose to use RSVP-TE 
extensions to signal the header compression context and other control 
messages between the ingress and egress LSR.  We re-use the methods in 
ECRTP to determine the context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt