Subject: [AVT] Fwd: Protocol Action: 'RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications' to Full Standard

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:44:25 +0100

I'm pleased to note that the IESG recently approved the RTP specification 
and A/V profile as Full Standard RFCs. There are no changes compared with 
the Draft Standard version, so the RFC numbers will not change. 

Colin

----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time  
Applications' to Full Standard
Date: Monday 17 May 2004 20:35
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce:;
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>, RFC Editor 
<[email-masked]>, avt mailing list <[email-masked]>, avt chair 
<[email-masked]>, avt chair  <[email-masked]>

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications '
  RFC 3550 as a Full Standard
- 'RTP Profile for Audio and Video Conferences with Minimal Control '
  RFC 3551 as a Full Standard

These documents are products of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

   RFC 3550 describes RTP, the real-time transport protocol.  RTP
   provides end-to-end network transport functions suitable for
   applications transmitting real-time data, such as audio, video or
   simulation data, over multicast or unicast network services.  RTP
   does not address resource reservation and does not guarantee
   quality-of-service for real-time services.  The data transport is
   augmented by a control protocol (RTCP) to allow monitoring of the
   data delivery in a manner scalable to large multicast networks, and
   to provide minimal control and identification functionality.  RTP and
   RTCP are designed to be independent of the underlying transport
   and network layers.  The protocol supports the use of RTP-level
   translators and mixers.

   RFC 3551 describes the Audio-Video Profile of RTP, "RTP/AVP", providing
   interpretations of generic fields within the RTP specification suitable
 for audio and video conferences with minimal control.  It defines a set
 of default mappings from payload type numbers to encodings, pointers to
 reference implementations and standards, and registrations of mediatypes.

Working Group Summary

 The Working Group whole-heartedly supported RTP's advancement
 to Full Standard as soon as it had spent the minimum period in
 Draft Standard.

Protocol Quality

 RTP is a mature protocol.  There are dozens of full implementations.
 The implementation report for Draft Standard was assessed to be very
 complete.   The determination of RTP going to Full Standard was
 evaluated by Allison Mankin for the IESG.   There were several
 messages for support for this in response to the IETF Last Call, and
 no negative messages.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

-------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:33:18 -0700

At 02:44 AM 5/19/04, Colin Perkins wrote:
>and A/V profile as Full Standard RFCs.

Congratulations to Henning, Steve, Ron, Van, Colin, Magnus and the many 
others who helped make this a reality.  RTP has been one the IETF's great 
success stories.

         Ross.

---

From: "Charlie Liu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:33:03 -0700

Thanks to all experts for the hard work and effort to make it successfully
accomplished.

Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Ross
Finlayson
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 3:33 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [AVT] Fwd: Protocol Action: 'RTP: A Transport Protocol for
Real-Time Applications' to Full Standard

         Ross.