Subject: [AVT] <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vmr-wb-03.txt>: Storage format

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:58:40 +0200

Hi Sassan,

Se question and comments below.

[email-masked] wrote:

> 
> While I added the necessary notes to Section 7 (storage format), I
> decided not to remove this section for the following reasons:
> 
> - This section and Section 8.5 of the 3GPP2 VMR-WB specification are
> fully consistent.
> 
> - I was advised by some 3GPP2 colleagues that the I-D is the best place
> to define the storage format.
> 

Do, you or do you not have a full specification in the 3GPP2 
specifications of the storage format?

If you have then, I would strongly encourage that you simple reference 
that specification. There is huge potential for interoperability issues 
if one do specifies two normative definitions of how a format is defined.

> - Based on some of your earlier comments, now Section 7 of the draft has
> more information and provisions that coherently complements the
> description in the VMR-WB specification. For the continuity of the text
> and for the purpose of MIME registration, I decided to keep the
> descriptions in Section 7. As long as there is no discrepancy between
> the RFC and the spec, I do not think that it is a problem.
> 

This is a problem, as soon there is a need to do an correction, update 
or other change. Then you have two places that needs to be consistent. 
Also simply by having two definitions, there is the potential of them 
being inconsistent. Thus creating interoperability problems, between 
implementation following different specifications.

> 3GPP2 has declared a high priority need for the VMR-WB RFC to meet the
> publication deadlines of several of its specifications under development
> http://www.3gpp2.org/Public_html/IETF/IETF_dependencies.cfm; therefore,
> expeditious completion of this I-D is very crucial to meet their
> deadlines.
> 

Yes, we are aware, but we need to ensure correctness of the 
specification. Claiming high priority will not makes us advance the 
specification with known issues.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt