Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-tcrtp-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:02:04 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Tunneling Multiplexed Compressed RTP ('TCRTP')
	Author(s)	: B. Thompson, et al. 
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-tcrtp-08.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2004-9-13
	
This document describes a method to improve the bandwidth 
   utilization of RTP streams over network paths that carry multiple 
   Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) streams in parallel between two 
   endpoints, as in voice trunking. The method combines standard 
   protocols that provide compression, multiplexing, and tunneling over 
   a network path to reduce the bandwidth used when multiple RTP 
   streams are carried over that path.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-tcrtp-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-tcrtp-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-tcrtp-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: "Yaakov Stein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:36:23 +0300

> You're comparing VoMPLS to VoIP, and I was comparing VoATM to VoIP.
> The weakness of VoATM is the minimum 53-byte packet size.  
> VoMPLS doesn't have that weakness, but VoMPLS still has 
> smaller headers than VoIP.

While Y.1414 is restricted to MPLS,
please take a look at draft-ietf-pwe3-tdmoip,
there the multiplexing is specified as either over MPLS, UDP/IP or
L2TPv3/IP.

Both of these are PW encapsulations, 
and so are essentially PSN agnostic.

> ROHC, by itself, doesn't work if packets are reordered unless 
> draft-pelletier-rohc-over-reordering-00 is used, and ECRTP, 
> by itself, doesn't work over multiple hops -- ECRTP needs to 
> be encapsulated (tunneled) inside of something else.  And 
> TCRTP defines one mechanism for such tunneling.

I agree that it defines ONE such mechanism.

Y(J)S