Subject: [AVT] Comments on draft-freed-media-types-reg-01.txt

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:27:02 +0300

Hi,

Reading the document and looking at the IANA database I noticed that the
media types do not include "data" and "control".

The current SDP draft has in section 9 

9.2.1  Media types ("media")
 
   The set of media types is intended to be small and SHOULD NOT be
   extended except under rare circumstances.  The same rules should
   apply for media names as for top-level MIME content types, and where
   possible the same name should be registered for SDP as for MIME.  For
   media other than existing MIME top-level content types, a
   standards-track RFC MUST be produced for a new top-level content type
   to be registered, and the registration MUST provide good
   justification why no existing media name is appropriate (the
   "Standards Action" policy of RFC 2434 [5].
 
   This memo registers the media types "audio", "video", "text",
   "application", "data" and "control".
 
So does it mean that in an RTP payload specification I will register a
payload type as application and use in SDP m line as data?
 
Roni Even

*************************************************************

Roni Even

Polycom Israel

Tel: +972-3-9251200

Cell: +972-54-5481099

Fax: +972-3-9211571

*****************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:33:07 +0100

[Replies to the MMUSIC list only please, since this is an SDP issue]

On 13 Sep 2004, at 16:27, Even, Roni wrote:
> Reading the document and looking at the IANA database I noticed that 
> the media types do not include “data” and “control”.
>

No. The "data" and "control" types are somewhat under-specified in SDP, 
but are intended to be used as alternatives to the other top-level 
media types. We should probably either remove them in favour of 
"application", or define new top-level MIME types if there's a need. 
Using "application" as the MIME type and "m=control" or "m=data" in SDP 
is wrong, though.

The simplest solution is to remove these in the next revision of 
sdp-new, and for them to be registered if there's a need later (unless 
someone is willing to contribute text to fix sdp-new).

Colin