Subject: [AVT] IESG comments on draft-ietf-avr-rtp-retransmission-11.txt - Issue 5: multiple retransmission requests

From: "Jose Rey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:34:49 +0200

Mark,

"Page 13, Section 7, Congestion control.

>    In addition, the sender MAY selectively retransmit only the 
>    packets that it deems important and ignore NACK messages for other 
>    packets in order to limit the bitrate.  

I think this could end up creating a situation where one side asks for a
packet repeatedly (multiple retransmission NACKs), and the other side
ignores the request repeatedly (not sending due to selective
retransmission)? Is this considered a reasonable and expected behavior
of the protocol?"

==>Yes, but this is not dangerous. A client may report over a fixed
window of SN values, in other words, carry fixed number of RTCP NACK
reports as the RTCP packet size allows.  Although this
client-requesting-server-ignoring can happen a couple of times it
doesn't add any danger or overhead since the NACK window simply "moves
on"

Cheers,

---------------------------------------------
Jose Rey     mailto:[email-masked]
P R D C G - Panasonic R&D Center Germany GmbH
Phone/Fax: +49(0)6103766-134/166
--------------------------------------------- 

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt