Subject: Re: [AVT] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 23:54:55 +0000

Jerry,

On 28 Dec 2005, at 17:50, Ash, Gerald R ((Jerry)), ALABS wrote:
> Please review and comment on the updated draft "Protocol Extensions  
> for
> Header Compression over MPLS"
> (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls- 
> protoco
> l-02.txt).
...
> The main changes include the following:
>
> 1. Section 3 'Header Compression over MPLS Protocol Overview' re- 
> written
> to not overlap with Section 4 'Protocol Specifications'
> 2. Section 4 re-written to use normative language for specifications
> 3. Section 4.2, all relevant TLVs from RFC3241 and RFC3544 included
> 4. Section 4.3, PW control word is now 2 octets, one for the length
> value
> 5. Section 7 IANA Considerations, PW type values and sub-TLV values
> defined per discussions with Allison Mankin, Luca Martini on AVT and
> PWE3 lists
>
> Once again, please review and comment on the updated draft.

This is clearly an improvement on the previous version of the draft,  
and as far as I can tell the proposed mechanisms are technically  
reasonable.

That said, while the structure is better than in previous versions, I  
still find this draft difficult to read, and in need of a significant  
rewrite to improve the quality of the prose, and of the explanations.  
At the very least, I suggest expanding the introductory material on  
MPLS and header compression, adding complete worked examples of the  
negotiation process, and editing the protocol description for clarity  
of explanation. As it stands, I don't think the draft is sufficiently  
clearly written to allow independent implementations of the protocol,  
or to allow effective review of the mechanisms.

Colin

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt