Subject: [AVT] Reg: SSM in RFC 3550

From: "Siddhartha Gandhi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:40:49 -0600

QUESTION 1:

It is not clear whether SSM will be implemented at the IP layer or the
application layer (RTP) ?

Normally its done at the IP layer. If it is supposed to be done at the
application layer then should I use Source as SSRC 

instead of "Source IP" or something else ?

QUESTION 2:

Also the text mentioned in section 6 under non-normative note is obscure,
can I get more details about it ?

      The recommendations here accommodate SSM only through Section 6.2's
      option of turning off receivers' RTCP entirely.  Future work will
      specify adaptation of RTCP for SSM so that feedback from receivers
      can be maintained.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Siddhartha

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:54:02 -0500

Hello;

> application layer (RTP) ?

RTP runs on top of SSM. SSM is part of the PIM-SM spec.

There is an I-D for Automatic multicast without explicit tunnels
(AMT), which allows for unicast transmission of SSM.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-05.txt

> instead of "Source IP" or something else ?

I do not understand this question.

>       specify adaptation of RTCP for SSM so that feedback from receivers

See
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtcpssm-10.txt
for how to do that.

> Appreciate your help.

Hope this helps
Marshall Eubanks