Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for Video Codec 1 (VC-1)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:02:44 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTP Payload Format for Video Codec 1 (VC-1) '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-06.txt-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies an RTP payload format for encapsulating Video
Codec 1 (VC-1) compressed bit streams, as defined by the Society of
Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) standard, SMPTE 421M.
SMPTE is the main standardizing body in the motion imaging industry
and the SMPTE 421M standard defines a compressed video bit stream
format and decoding process for television.

Working Group Summary

This draft is a product of the AVT working group. This is a
reasonable RTP payload format, sharing much in common with other
recent formats for complex video coding standards (e.g. the H.264
payload format). There was good debate over the design choices during
the course of several working group meetings, with the draft being
reviewed by a large number of working group participants.

Request for ietf-types review was January 4, and no concerns were
raised. 

The IETF was informed that this draft is required for
the ETSI protocol DVB-H (ETSI TS 102 005: "Specification 
for the use of Video and Audio Coding in DVB services delivered
directly over IP Protocols).

Protocol Quality

The protocol has been reviewed in detail by Regis Crinon, Miska
Hannuksela, Colin Perkins, Shankar Regunathan, Gary Sullivan, Stephan
Wenger, Dave Singer and Magnus Westerlund. Stephan and Miska provided
extensive working group last call comments to clarify the text.  
We have spelled out the reviewers in this case to underline the
breadth of the IETF discussion.

Colin Perkins has been the WG Chair shepherd.  Allison Mankin has
been the Responsible Area Director.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt