Subject: [AVT] RE: [mpls] MPLS Header Compression

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 07:22:31 -0600

Bob,

Header compression over MPLS is being worked in the AVT working group.

The requirements are given in RFC 4247
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4247.txt?number=4247.

The protocol extensions work is in progress, the latest draft is at
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-02.
txt.

Please let us know if you have any comments or questions (on the AVT
list).

Thanks,
Jerry 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Anders
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [mpls] MPLS Header Compression

Dear Group,

I came across the problem when the header, due to its arbitrary
length, can exceed the MTU of the whole packet and was looking into
MPLS header compression schemes.

Dealing for not too long with MPLS, I have seen from the mailing list
archive that there were some attempts to solve this problem, with
discussions around 2000 (draft-berger-mpls-hdr-comp-00.txt,
draft-swallow-mpls-simple-hdr-compress-00.txt) and 2003. But I
couldn't find that one of these drafts made it to a RFC document.

Could someone help me with what the current status/consensus regarding
header compression in the MPLS community is? How is it solved or
implemented (if any)?
You don't have to tell stories, any RFC document, paper or link is
fine...

Thanks,
Bob

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt