Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for MIDI' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:01:37 -0500

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'RTP Payload Format for MIDI '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-midi-format-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'An Implementation Guide for RTP MIDI '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-midi-guidelines-15.txt> as an Informational RFC

These documents are products of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Allison Mankin.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-midi-format-15.txt

Technical Summary
 
These documents define the RTP Payload format for MIDI (Musical 
Instrument Digital Interface), and additional
guidelines on implementation specifically concerning the timing of
reception and transmission for best performance in different
applications. MIDI is a real-time media, which however is brittle to
losses and errors. Therefore the RTP payload format defines recovery
journals as a way of avoiding persistent audible errors, and discusses
congestion control handling for these journals.

The RTP payload for MIDI encodes the broad range of MIDI commands.
The format is suitable for interactive applications 
(such as network musical performance) and content-delivery
(such as file streaming).   

Working Group Summary
 
There is consensus in the WG to publish these documents.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This RTP Payload format has been implemented during the development of
the specification and successfully tested over an IP network between two
remote sites, thus showing that the technical solution is successfully
working. It has been reviewed by the MIDI Manufacturers Association and
their comments have been addressed.  Allison Mankin reviewed the document
for the IESG, including a careful review with the editor of the media
types, in parallel with ietf-types list review which raised no issues.

Magnus Westerlund and Colin Perkins jointly shepherded these
documents.

Note to RFC Editor
 
 Expand MIDI in the abstract and introduction first
 appearances.

 Place the term MIDI before the expansion, because the
 standard usage in the community is no longer to provide the
 expansion.  E.g. we strongly advise:  MIDI (Musical 
 Instrument Digital Interface) and not Musical Instrument
 Digital Interface (MIDI).

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt