Subject: Re: [AVT] RE: KM approach using MIKEY and EKT

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 23:05:00 -0700

On Jun 29, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:

> "Fries, Steffen" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> Early media can be 2-way...  (really).
>>
>> [stf] wow, I didn't know that. How does the signaling work in this
>> scenario, i.e., how does the caller know where to send his media. I
>> guess there must be a predefined port. What would be a use case for
>> that?
>
> My understanding is that there are, such as for IVR systems to get  
> a PIN
> for a calling cart - Note that "early media" here means "before 200  
> OK",
> not "before answer".  The answer is in a 18x response.  Since this  
> is still
> offer/answer, the fact that it's "early media" may not be relevant.
>
> See RFC's 3959 and 3960.

Note that it was not just any old 18x response but needed to be a  
reliable one. There has been lots of confusion about what early media  
is in the SIP context, there seem to be more than on definition  
floating around.

But back to this use case the the pins of the IVR. I heard people say  
this before but I have a really hard time imagining how some of the  
details would work particularly when interoperating with a PSTN  
device. Are there examples of IVRs that people have build that do  
2833 style DTMF before a reliable 18x? 

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt