Subject: [AVT] WG Action: RECHARTER: Audio/Video Transport (avt)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:50:01 -0400

The charter of the Audio/Video Transport (avt) working group in the 
Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area of the IETF has been
updated. For additional information, please contact the Area Directors 
or the working group Chairs.

+++

Audio/Video Transport (avt)
=============================
 
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Colin Perkins <[email-masked]> 
Tom Taylor <[email-masked]> 
Roni Even <[email-masked]> 

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]> 
Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> 

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman//listinfo/avt
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Audio/Video Transport Working Group was formed to specify a protocol
for real-time transmission of audio and video over unicast and multicast
UDP/IP. This is the Real-time Transport Protocol, RTP, together with its
associated profiles and payload formats. The current aims of the working
group are:

- to review and revise existing payload formats to advance those which
are useful to Draft Standard, and to declare others as
Historic. Milestones will be established as a champion for each
payload format is identified.

- to develop payload formats for new media codecs, and to document
best-current practices in payload format design. The group continues
to be precluded from work on codecs themselves because of overlap with
the other standards bodies, and because the IETF does not have the
ability to effectively review new codecs. An exception was made for
the freeware iLBC codec on a highly experimental basis, but acceptance
of new codec work is unexpected and subject to rechartering.

- to complete the forward error correction work to update RFC 2733 in
the form of the ULP payload format

- to extend RTP to work with Source-Specific Multicast sessions with
unicast feedback

- to provide a framing mechanism for RTP over TCP and TLS

- in collaboration with the MPLS and ROHC WGs, to develop a solution for
header compression of RTP across MPLS networks that avoid
decompression and compression at each MPLS node.

- to develop a new RTP profile for the combination of the SRTP profile
and the Extended RTP Profile for RTCP-based Feedback (RTP/SAVPF)

- to maintain and enhance the SRTP Profile, with review and input from
the Security Area

- to develop a new RTP profile for usage of TFRC (RFC 3448) with RTP
over UDP to allow application developers to gain experience with TCP
friendly congestion control.

- to develop a MIB for RTCP XR (RFC 3611).

- to update the RTP MIB, including aligning it with RFC 3550.

- to clarify how RTP is used for media in conferencing with centralized
nodes performing relay, translation or mixing of media.

- to develop the mechanisms needed for efficient control of media and
its encoding process in RTP based conferencing, both over multicast
and transport containing relays, translators and mixers. An example of
such a mechanism is a method to request a full intra coded frame of
video. This would be used to allow joining participants to receive
video immediately after joining instead of waiting for the next intra
coded frame. It also allows mixers to perform switching between media
sources without the need to re-encode the media.

- to develop a solution for carrying media meta data, specifically SMPTE
timestamps, to enhance the media stream. Such transport may be done in
either RTP or RTCP depending on which is most suitable. The WG may
consider if a generalized mechanism should be developed to enable
future types of meta data to be easier to include.

- to develop two new metric blocks for the RTCP XR (RFC 3611) framework
to provide information on the media quality experienced by the
receiver of RTP flows. One metrics block is for high resolution
measurements of audio and speech quality. A second one for providing
information on the quality of video. The timescale to complete this
second block and the included metrics are highly dependable on the
development of standardized subjective metrics for video quality. The
WG will consider what metrics that are available and if they should be
included or not. The metrics blocks shall not duplicate signaling
information anyway necessary for the establishment of the session.

The longer term goals of the working group are to advance the SRTP
Profile, the Extended RTP Profile for RTCP-based Feedback, the
Compressed RTP framework, and the RTP MIB to Draft Standard.

The group has no plans to develop new RTP profiles beyond those listed
above, but will consider rechartering to produce profile level
extensions if appropriate.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Review DCCP including prototypes and API; feedback to DCCP WG

Done Initial draft requirements for ECRTP over MPLS; discuss with
MPLS WG

Done Submit iLBC payload format for Proposed Standard

Done Submit iLBC codec specification for Experimental

Done Advance RTP specification and A/V profile to Full Standard

Done Submit RTP/SAVPF profile for Proposed Standard

Done Finished investigation of advanced FEC codes for RTP, update
plan

Done Submit extensions for RTP HC on MPLS networks for Proposed
Standard

Done Submit ULP Payload Format for Proposed Standard

Aug 2006 Submit SMTPE Timestamping of Media for Proposed Standard

Sep 2006 Submit RTCP/SSM draft for Proposed Standard

Nov 2006 Submit "use of AES-192 and AES-256 in SRTP" for Proposed
Standard

Nov 2006 Submit update of RTP MIB for Proposed or Draft Standard

Nov 2006 Submit RTCP XR MIB for Proposed Standard

Nov 2006 Submit RTP Profile for TFRC for Proposed Standard

Nov 2006 Submit RTCP XR High Resolution Audio Metrics for Proposed
Standard

Nov 2006 Submit Codec Control Messages for Proposed Standard

Mar 2007 Submit SRTP for Draft Standard

Mar 2007 Submit RTCP XR Video Metrics block for Proposed Standard

Sep 2007 Submit RTP/AVPF for Draft Standard

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt