Subject: [AVT] I-D Action:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-howto-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : How to Write an RTP Payload Format
	Author(s)       : M. Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avt-rtp-howto-03.txt
	Pages           : 54
	Date            : 2008-02-25

This document contains information on how to best write an RTP
payload format.  Reading tips, design practices, and practical tips
on how to quickly and with good results produce an RTP payload format
specification.  A template is also included with instructions that
can be used when writing an RTP payload format.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-howto-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-rtp-howto-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-howto-03.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:44:07 +0100

Hi,

The draft had expired so I refreshed and managed to write a little bit 
of new text into it. Changes are:

- Added section about high packet rates and need for extended sequence 
number
- A section about payload formats for scalable codec, which primarily 
says it is difficult. I do like to have suggestions and text from the 
people currently being involved in the design.
- Filled in a start of the current trends for video codecs. This 
definitely needs more work.
- Wrote a current trends for text. Not long as we only have had two 
formats that can at all be considered to carry text, and one of them was 
registered as video codec.

Feedback or suggestions for improvements are appreciated.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------