Subject: [AVT] [RTP] payload duration

From: mokhtar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:25:00 -0800 (PST)

Hi

I a a little bit confused about an RTP packet duration in millisecondes 
Is it constant ?
or does it depend on the payload type ? and number of frames ?

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/-RTP--payload-duration-tp15527202p15527202.html
Sent from the IETF - avt mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Randell Jesup <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:02:43 -0500

>or does it depend on the payload type ? and number of frames ?

That depends on the payload type and spec.

Many audio codecs are frame-based, and include one to N frames (each of a
fixed period) within a single RTP payload, if the spec for that payload
allows it.  Other specs may only include only a single frame.  Others may
simply be non-framed (video is kind of like this - it's sampled but does
not necessarily have a specified duration).

-- 
Randell Jesup
[email-masked]
"The fetters imposed on liberty at home have ever been forged out of the weapons
provided for defence against real, pretended, or imaginary dangers from abroad."
		- James Madison, 4th US president (1751-1836)