Subject: [AVT] SVC payload - operation point negotiation

From: Thomas Schierl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 18:33:52 +0200

Hi all,

We are currently working on the signaling section of the SVC payload 
draft and we are not sure if we can go in the following direction:

We plan to extract operation point information from the Scalability SEI 
and put them as plain text into the SDP. An operation point would then 
have particular values of spatial resolution, avg. framerate and 
max/avg. bitrate. The offerer may choose whether all possible operation 
points are signaled or just a few of them.
We want to allow the answerer to choose one of these operation points 
similar to using the "layer-id" with  Scalability SEI.

And, we would not allow the selection of any resolution supported by any 
offered profile/level, but not signaled with an operation point / 
layer-id in the Scalability SEI.

-- 
Thomas Schierl
--------------
Fraunhofer HHI

----
Visit us at

GITEX 2008 / Dubai, Int. Convention and Exhibition Centre / 19 - 23 October 2008 / Hall 2, Booth J2-6
http://www.gitex.com/Default_en_gb.aspx

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:32:34 +0300

Thomas,
A clarification question. Will these be alternative sender offers that the
receiver should choose from. Will all have the same payload type number. 
Is it going to be used for streaming and for conversional service. For the
conversional services are these symmetric. If not then the handshake will
need three messages, an offer with transmit operation points, an answer with
selected operation points and the answerer operation points   and another
response from the offerer to select the operation point it wants to receive.

The question will be what should the offer mean in terms of the receive
modes. Example, offer with stream in send receive includes profile-level and
operation points, can the answerer start sending media to the offerer based
on the profile-level.

Regards 
Roni 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Thomas
Schierl
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 7:34 PM
To: Even, Roni
Cc: avt
Subject: [AVT] SVC payload - operation point negotiation

Hi all,

-- 
Thomas Schierl
--------------
Fraunhofer HHI

----
Visit us at

GITEX 2008 / Dubai, Int. Convention and Exhibition Centre / 19 - 23 October
2008 / Hall 2, Booth J2-6
http://www.gitex.com/Default_en_gb.aspx

---

From: Thomas Schierl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 21:49:08 +0200

> receiver should choose from. Will all have the same payload type number. 
Yes, the operation points will be associated with one payload type.
> conversional services are these symmetric. If not then the handshake will
Both. In the same way as the parameter layer-id is used with the 
sprop-scalability-info (Scalability SEI message).
> response from the offerer to select the operation point it wants to receive.
I guess the answerer would just choose the offered payload type for the 
SVC media stream with additional choosing
the operation point, where the offerer has already indicated the 
operation point it wants to receive in his offer.
Then it is two way.
Is this ok with offer/answer or would they have to use a symmetric 
operation point?
> operation points, can the answerer start sending media to the offerer based
This is a good point, operation points should also get there own 
profile-level-id. We could fix, that if operation points are
offered for an H264-SVC payload type, only these points can be used.

Best regards,
Thomas

----
Visit us at