Subject: [AVT] Request comments on draft-legrand-rtp-isac-00.txt

From: Tina le Grand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:11:25 -0800

I sent an email to the list a while ago, asking for comments on the Internet-Draft "draft-legrand-rtp-isac-00.txt" (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-legrand-rtp-isac-00.txt), but have not yet received any. I would highly appreciate to have the draft reviewed, all comments are welcome.

The draft is a description of the RTP Payload format for the iSAC wideband speech codec.

Best regards,
Tina le Grand.

Tina le Grand
R&D Manager, Stockholm
Global IP Solutions
http://www.gipscorp.com<http://www.gipscorp.com/>
Magnus Ladulåsgatan 63B | 118 27 Stockholm | Sweden
Phone: +46 8 410 398 03 | Mobile: +46 70 209 06 99

________________________________
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information. If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication and notify the sender immediately. It should be noted that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking action or reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 17:09:59 +0200

Hi,

I am not familiar with this codec, what type of the codec documentation is
publically available. Your reference in the draft is to some marketing
document.

This information may help progress the payload specification in AVT

Roni Even

AVT co-chair

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tina
le Grand
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] Request comments on draft-legrand-rtp-isac-00.txt

I sent an email to the list a while ago, asking for comments on the
Internet-Draft “draft-legrand-rtp-isac-00.txt”
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-legrand-rtp-isac-00.txt), but
have not yet received any. I would highly appreciate to have the draft
reviewed, all comments are welcome.

The draft is a description of the RTP Payload format for the iSAC wideband
speech codec.

Best regards,

Tina le Grand.

Tina le Grand
R&D Manager, Stockholm
Global IP Solutions
http://www.gipscorp.com <http://www.gipscorp.com/> 
Magnus Ladulåsgatan 63B | 118 27 Stockholm | Sweden
Phone: +46 8 410 398 03 | Mobile: +46 70 209 06 99

  _____  

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message, including any attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential, protected by the
attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public
information. If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an
authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use
or disclose this communication and notify the sender immediately. It should
be noted that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking action or reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

---

From: Tina le Grand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 02:31:18 -0800

Hi,

This is the background: iSAC is a proprietary wideband speech codec that is supported by a number of vendors and they are using audio/isac as media type. We would like to register the name to avoid conflicts and confusion, and to make sure the codec is used in a standardized way. There are no other document to refer to than the one mentioned in the draft. What kind of information do you think is needed in this draft to make it more complete?
Is it possible to register isac as a media type?

Thanks!

Regards,
Tina le Grand.

From: Roni Even [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 4:10 PM
To: Tina le Grand; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [AVT] Request comments on draft-legrand-rtp-isac-00.txt

Hi,
I am not familiar with this codec, what type of the codec documentation is publically available. Your reference in the draft is to some marketing document.
This information may help progress the payload specification in AVT

Roni Even
AVT co-chair

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tina le Grand
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] Request comments on draft-legrand-rtp-isac-00.txt

Best regards,
Tina le Grand.

Tina le Grand
R&D Manager, Stockholm
Global IP Solutions

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:08:59 -0500

You can register isac as a media type quite straightforwardly in the vendor 
branch of the tree. That is, the media type would be audio/vnd.isac.

Tina le Grand wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:06:36 +0200

Tina,

To register a media subtype name in IANA you need to follow
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4855 . you will need to have a draft according
to it. 

Most probably this payload can be registered under the vendor tree like Tom
wrote.

If you want to try to have it in the standard tree the draft needs to
specify the payload better. You can look at one of the audio payload types
in AVT as an example.

Roni Even

From: Tina le Grand [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:31 PM
To: Roni Even; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [AVT] Request comments on draft-legrand-rtp-isac-00.txt

Hi,

This is the background: iSAC is a proprietary wideband speech codec that is
supported by a number of vendors and they are using audio/isac as media
type. We would like to register the name to avoid conflicts and confusion,
and to make sure the codec is used in a standardized way. There are no other
document to refer to than the one mentioned in the draft. What kind of
information do you think is needed in this draft to make it more complete?

Thanks!

Regards,

Tina le Grand.

Hi,

Roni Even

AVT co-chair

Best regards,

Tina le Grand.

Tina le Grand
R&D Manager, Stockholm
Global IP Solutions

  _____  

  _____

---

From: Tina le Grand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 01:28:46 -0800

Roni,

Thanks for your answer. I am aware of the vendor tree, but unfortunately it does not fulfill the needs we have. Since the codec is so widely used we would like to have the usage of the codec standardized, mainly to minimize the risk of interoperability issues.

I will double check the RFC 4855 and update the internet-draft with a better description of the codec and the payload. However, the details will not be on bit level.

Regards,
Tina le Grand.

From: Roni Even [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:07 PM
To: Tina le Grand; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [AVT] Request comments on draft-legrand-rtp-isac-00.txt

Tina,
To register a media subtype name in IANA you need to follow http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4855 . you will need to have a draft according to it.
Most probably this payload can be registered under the vendor tree like Tom wrote.

If you want to try to have it in the standard tree the draft needs to specify the payload better. You can look at one of the audio payload types in AVT as an example.

Roni Even

Hi,

Thanks!

Regards,
Tina le Grand.

Hi,

Roni Even
AVT co-chair

Best regards,
Tina le Grand.

Tina le Grand
R&D Manager, Stockholm
Global IP Solutions