Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: 'Support for Reduced-Size RTCP, Opportunities and Consequences' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 09:45:58 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Support for Reduced-Size RTCP, Opportunities and Consequences '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-non-compound-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-non-compound-09.txt

Technical Summary
This memo discusses benefits and issues that arise when allowing RTCP
packets to be transmitted with reduced size. The size can be reduced
if the rules on how to create compound packets outlined in RFC3550
are removed or changed. Based on that analysis this memo defines
certain changes to the rules to allow feedback messages to be sent as
reduced-size RTCP packets under certain conditions when using the RTP
AVPF profile (RFC 4585). This document updates [RFC3550], [RFC3711]
and [RFC4585].

Working Group Summary
When the initial proposals for reduced-size RTCP reports were presented
(end of 2006), they provoked considerable concern and discussion because
they violated current RFC 3550 rules. Over the two years since, agreement
has been reached on the acceptable modifications to RFC 3550 rules and the
concerns that have to be documented along with them. The current document
has strong WG consensus.

Document Quality
Colin Perkins and Randell Jesup provided oversight and insight throughout
the evolution of this document.