Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for the Speex Codec' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 06:26:11 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTP Payload Format for the Speex Codec '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-speex-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-speex-07.txt

Technical Summary

Speex is an open-source voice codec suitable for use in Voice over IP
(VoIP) type applications. This document describes the payload format
for Speex generated bit streams within an RTP packet. Also included
here are the necessary details for the use of Speex with the Session
Description Protocol (SDP).

Working Group Summary

The initial version of this draft was submitted in February 2002, and
was eventually adopted as a working group draft in October 2005.
After several false starts and changes in authorship, interest and
progress picked up in 2007, leading to the completion of the draft.
Adoption of the draft by the working group was delayed due to
confusion on which signalling mechanisms should be defined. More
recently, discussion has focussed on the detailed use of RTP headers,
and media type parameter. The resulting format is a straight-forward
RTP payload type specification.

Document Quality

There are several existing implementations (e.g. Ekiga, gstreamer). A
Media type review was conducted starting on 31 March 2008; no issues
were raised.

Personnel

Colin Perkins is the document shepherd. Cullen Jennings is the
responsible area director.