Subject: [AVT] MPEG liaison statement to the IETF

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 20:04:17 -0700

Hi all,
MPEG has sent a liaison statement (29n10339) to the IETF related to their
intention to work on media transport.  I assume it will show up in the
IETF¹s liaison tracker shortly.  Meanwhile, if you need a copy and can¹t
pull the MPEG documents yourself, email me.  The IETF¹s email system does
not allow me to add the .zip file the statement came in, and it¹s too big in
unzipped format.
Clearly, there is overlap, if not competition, between AVT¹s work and what
MPEG anticipates, at least for some applications.  I¹m also copying
fecframe.  While the overlap in this case is less clear, I have reasons to
believe that MPEG may touch our interests here as well.  Arguably, there is
a similar overlap/competition to the work performed in numerous other SDOs.
The work appears to be in a very early stage.  They are calling for a
workshop during their forthcoming London meeting.  Perhaps some of you are
interested in submitting statements or attending the workshop...
Regards,
Stephan
P.s.: I have an opinion about the intentions and plans behind this
statement, but it would be impolite to voice it.

---

From: Ye-Kui Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 11:20:53 -0400

Information of the planned MPEG workshop can be found at
http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/hot_news.htm. The background reason for the
work item and the workshop can be found in the announcement of the workshop
(named
<http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/tutorials/awareness/mmt-20090701/Workshop_
%20on_MMT.doc> Workshop on MMT (MPEG Media Transport) on the website). 
 
BR, YK

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Stephan Wenger
Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2009 11:04 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] MPEG liaison statement to the IETF

Hi all,
MPEG has sent a liaison statement (29n10339) to the IETF related to their
intention to work on media transport.  I assume it will show up in the
IETF's liaison tracker shortly.  Meanwhile, if you need a copy and can't
pull the MPEG documents yourself, email me.  The IETF's email system does
not allow me to add the .zip file the statement came in, and it's too big in
unzipped format.
Clearly, there is overlap, if not competition, between AVT's work and what
MPEG anticipates, at least for some applications.  I'm also copying
fecframe.  While the overlap in this case is less clear, I have reasons to
believe that MPEG may touch our interests here as well.  Arguably, there is
a similar overlap/competition to the work performed in numerous other SDOs.