Subject: [AVT] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-avt-rapid-rtp-sync-02.txt]

From: Thomas Schierl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:46:54 +0200

Dear all,

Please find pointer to the revised version -02 of 
draft-ietf-avt-rapid-rtp-sync below.

We addressed the reaming open issues and completed all sections.

Any comments are welcome. Due to the timing constraints, we would like 
to ask if we can go ahead with WGLC for this draft.

Best regards,
Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierl
--------------
Fraunhofer HHI

---
Visit us at

IEEE ICC 2009 / June 14-18 / Dresden, Germany / International Congress Center
http://www.hhi.fraunhofer.de/icc

Laser World of Photonics 2009 / June 15-18 / Munich, Germay / Hall B1, Booth 461
http://world-of-photonics.net/de/laser/start

Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-avt-rapid-rtp-sync-02.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:45:01 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: Internet Draft Announcements only <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Rapid Synchronisation of RTP Flows
	Author(s)       : C. Perkins, T. Schierl
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avt-rapid-rtp-sync-02.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2009-06-11

This memo outlines how RTP sessions are synchronised, and discusses
how rapidly such synchronisation can occur.  We show that most RTP
sessions can be synchronised immediately, but that the use of video
switching multipoint conference units (MCUs) or large source specific
multicast (SSM) groups can greatly increase the synchronisation
delay.  This increase in delay can be unacceptable to some
applications that use layered and/or multi-description codecs.

This memo introduces three mechanisms to reduce the synchronisation
delay for such sessions.  First, it updates the RTP Control Protocol
(RTCP) timing rules to reduce the initial synchronisation delay for
SSM sessions.  Second, a new feedback packet is defined for use with
the Extended RTP Profile for RTCP-based Feedback (RTP/AVPF), allowing
video switching MCUs to rapidly request resynchronisation.  Finally,
new RTP header extensions are defined to allow rapid synchronisation
of late joiners, and guarantee correct timestamp based decoding order
recovery for layered codecs in the presence of clock skew.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rapid-rtp-sync-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:33:47 +0300

Thomas,
I read the draft, the major comment I have is that section 4.3 looks to me
like it describe one use case and should be in formational. It just repeats
text from SVC. Maybe, if you want to have it, it should be a separate
section that will be specified as an informational section.
Roni

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Thomas Schierl
> Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 11:47 AM
> To: avt
> Cc: Roni Even; Tom Taylor; Colin Perkins
> Subject: [AVT] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-avt-rapid-rtp-sync-02.txt]
> 
> Dear all,
> 
> Please find pointer to the revised version -02 of draft-ietf-avt-rapid-
> rtp-sync below.
>

---

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:40:51 +0300

Hi,
I will wait for your response to the last email from Mike. 
I will try to start WGLC next week
Roni

---

From: Thomas Schierl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:51:30 +0200

Hi Roni,
No problem to put it as an informal section.
Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierl
--------------
Fraunhofer HHI