Subject: [AVT] FW: MPEG2 preamble - are there other solutions out there

From: Frank Xia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:38:45 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Xia [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:04 PM
To: 'DRAGE, Keith (Keith)'
Subject: RE: [AVT] MPEG2 preamble - are there other solutions out there

Hi　Keith

Thank you for the coordination.

Please see my inline quick response...

BR
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of DRAGE,
Keith (Keith)
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] MPEG2 preamble - are there other solutions out there

(As WG co-chair)

This is just a catch all set of questions (to which in general I will assume
the answer is a definitive NO to all of these unless I see a practical
response).

1)	We have two solutions on the table. Given that we have had six
months with a known issue to solve, and noone has come up with a third
solution, I am assuming that there is not a third solution someone thinks is
better than the other two already proposed. If you know different, then
please make clear on list what you think that solution should be (you are
too late to write an i-d). Is there a third solution waiting in the wings?

2)	I am currently assuming that the two solutions are mutually
exclusive, i.e. that there is no compromise of taking the best of each
solution and making a third solution. If you know better then also let us
know. Are there any compromise solutions out there?
Frank=>IHMO, there is no comprised way having both advantages.

3)	I am assuming that if we endorsed both solutions, it will
essentially mean that we have failed to come to come a consensus and are
letting the market decide. Are there any technical advantages of documenting
both solutions to the market place?
Frank=>I am fine with standardizing both.  It is not uncommon that different
solutions for the same problems in IETF.  For example, Mobile IPv6 and proxy
Mobile IPv6 are serving the same purposes.  Another example is a host can
configure its IP address through Neighbor Discovery protocol, or DHCP. 

regards

Keith
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt