Subject: [AVT] New internet-draft for inter-destination media synchronization

From: "Brandenburg, R. (Ray) van" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:39:14 +0200

Hi,

I've just submitted the following internet-draft for inter-destination
media synchronization using RTCP-XR:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-brandenburg-avt-rtcp-for-idms-00.txt 

The internet-draft is based on work done in ETSI TISPAN and the
resulting standard TS 183 063. Because of RTCP's origin, we have decided
to bring this XR-block specification to the IETF. 

We are looking forward to your opinions, as RTCP experts, on our
internet-draft.

Regards,

Ray van Brandenburg
TNO

Abstract:
This document specifies an RTCP XR Block Type for inter-destination
media synchronization (IDMS). The RTCP Block Type is used to collect
information on media play-out time of a specific RTP media stream, and
to distribute a summary of the collected information. This information
can be used to synchronize the play-out of media such as audio, video
and/or subtitles among multiple devices.

This document also specifies the associated SDP parameter. The SDP
parameter is used to signal the use of the RTCP XR block for inter-
destination media synchronization.

Typical applications for inter-destination media synchronization are
social TV, watching apart together and shared service control. Each of
these applications has two or more geographically separated users
watching a media stream on respective devices. RTCP-XR is intended as a
signaling mechanism to enable various media synchronization algorithms
amongst users. The presented RTCP-XR specification for IDMS is
independent of the used synchronization algorithm.
This e-mail and its contents are subject to the DISCLAIMER at http://www.tno.nl/disclaimer/email.html

---

From: Ye-Kui Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:21:32 -0400

Hi,
 
Interesting draft. I think it would be good for readers to better understand
(and then comment on) the design if it is explained how the parameters
signaled are used in inter-destination synchronization. IMO, the final
version of the standard, if any, should include such text anyway, IMO. 
 
BR, YK

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Brandenburg, R. (Ray) van
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 3:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] New internet-draft for inter-destination media
synchronization

Hi, 

I've just submitted the following internet-draft for inter-destination media
synchronization using RTCP-XR: 
 <http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-brandenburg-avt-rtcp-for-idms-00.txt>
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-brandenburg-avt-rtcp-for-idms-00.txt 

The internet-draft is based on work done in ETSI TISPAN and the resulting
standard TS 183 063. Because of RTCP's origin, we have decided to bring this
XR-block specification to the IETF. 

Regards, 

Ray van Brandenburg 
TNO 

Abstract: 
This document specifies an RTCP XR Block Type for inter-destination media
synchronization (IDMS). The RTCP Block Type is used to collect information
on media play-out time of a specific RTP media stream, and to distribute a
summary of the collected information. This information can be used to
synchronize the play-out of media such as audio, video and/or subtitles
among multiple devices.

This document also specifies the associated SDP parameter. The SDP parameter
is used to signal the use of the RTCP XR block for inter- destination media
synchronization.

Typical applications for inter-destination media synchronization are social
TV, watching apart together and shared service control. Each of these
applications has two or more geographically separated users watching a media
stream on respective devices. RTCP-XR is intended as a signaling mechanism
to enable various media synchronization algorithms amongst users. The
presented RTCP-XR specification for IDMS is independent of the used
synchronization algorithm.

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the DISCLAIMER at
http://www.tno.nl/disclaimer/email.html

---

From: "Brandenburg, R. (Ray) van" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:34:44 +0200

Dear Ye-Kui Wang,

Thanks for your comments. You are correct that the current I-D does not
include examples on how to use the obtained synchronization information
to actually synchronize the play-out. Although this is out of scope of
the XR block specification I agree that it might be useful to understand
the design better. We will look into adding this in the next version of
the I-D.  

In the meantime, the operation of inter-destination media
synchronization is explained in more detail in ETSI documents TS 182 027
and TS 183 063. Here are the hyperlinks to the current drafts.

http://docbox.etsi.org/TISPAN/TISPAN/05-CONTRIBUTIONS/2010/TISPANWG2/TIS
PAN02(10)0168_WI2083_TS182027_output_draft_v3.4.2_RTSTISPAN-02083-NGN-R3
_.doc
<http://docbox.etsi.org/TISPAN/TISPAN/05-CONTRIBUTIONS/2010/TISPANWG2/TI
SPAN02(10)0168_WI2083_TS182027_output_draft_v3.4.2_RTSTISPAN-02083-NGN-R
3_.doc> 

http://docbox.etsi.org/TISPAN/TISPAN/05-CONTRIBUTIONS/2010/TISPANWG3/TIS
PAN03(10)0240_Draft_W3204_OutputDraft_3.4.2.zip
<http://docbox.etsi.org/TISPAN/TISPAN/05-CONTRIBUTIONS/2010/TISPANWG3/TI
SPAN03(10)0240_Draft_W3204_OutputDraft_3.4.2.zip> 

I expect the two ETSI documents to be approved at the end of October
2010, whereas their formal publication may take a few more months. Since
Huawei is ETSI member, you could e.g. ask your colleague Richard Brennan
(cc) to send you a copy of these documents.

I am currently looking for a way to share these documents with the IETF
AVT group directly. I shall get back to you about this. 

Best regards,

Ray

________________________________

From: Ye-Kui Wang [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: maandag 27 september 2010 23:22
To: Brandenburg, R. (Ray) van; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [AVT] New internet-draft for inter-destination media
synchronization

Hi,
 
Interesting draft. I think it would be good for readers to better
understand (and then comment on) the design if it is explained how the
parameters signaled are used in inter-destination synchronization. IMO,
the final version of the standard, if any, should include such text
anyway, IMO. 
 
BR, YK

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Brandenburg, R. (Ray) van
	Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 3:39 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [AVT] New internet-draft for inter-destination media
synchronization

	Hi, 

	I've just submitted the following internet-draft for
inter-destination media synchronization using RTCP-XR: 

	Regards, 

	Ray van Brandenburg 
	TNO 

	Abstract: 
	This document specifies an RTCP XR Block Type for
inter-destination media synchronization (IDMS). The RTCP Block Type is
used to collect information on media play-out time of a specific RTP
media stream, and to distribute a summary of the collected information.
This information can be used to synchronize the play-out of media such
as audio, video and/or subtitles among multiple devices.

	This document also specifies the associated SDP parameter. The
SDP parameter is used to signal the use of the RTCP XR block for inter-
destination media synchronization.

	Typical applications for inter-destination media synchronization
are social TV, watching apart together and shared service control. Each
of these applications has two or more geographically separated users
watching a media stream on respective devices. RTCP-XR is intended as a
signaling mechanism to enable various media synchronization algorithms
amongst users. The presented RTCP-XR specification for IDMS is
independent of the used synchronization algorithm.