Subject: [AVT] Audio Levels in Beijing (again)

From: Emil Ivov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 11:07:36 +0200

Hello all,

The audio level drafts have been given a ten minute slot on Thursday's
AVT meeting and chairs have asked us to send a short summary of their
status.

The drafts are about two RTP extensions that allow clients and mixers to
exchange audio levels. The point is to

1. Allow clients participating in a conference to display individual
audio levels in their GUI in order to enhance active speaker information
2. Allow mixers to spare resources by deciding not to decode incoming
packets that do not seem to contain anything worth mixing.

The drafts were first presented in Stockholm and then again in
Hiroshima where we also had a positive call for consensus which was
later backed by the mailing list.

There has been some discussion about the best way to encode
the levels. At this point there seems to be consensus on using dBov,
just as we already do with Comfort Noise (RFC 3389).

It has also been pointed that levels should be calculated as per G.100.1 5.7

Please let us know if you see any problems with these drafts moving
forward as working group documents.

Cheers,
Emil

-- 
Emil Ivov, Ph.D.                               67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead                                   France
SIP Communicator
[email-masked]                     PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://sip-communicator.org                    FAX:   +33.1.77.62.47.31