Subject: [AVT] Comments on Section 7.1 of draft-ietf-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp-09.txt

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 14:20:31 +0700

Paragraph 7 says "An offerer that desires the answerer to use Tokens in RTCP
messages sent to the server, i.e., received by the server, the attribute is
included."  I can't parse this sentence.

The same paragraph says 

   In case an offerer desires to declare support for using
   Tokens as defined in this specification but do not need Tokens to be
   included for any RTCP messages to be received by the server, it can
   include the 'portmapping-req' attribute without any parameters,
   neither port nor address.

but this seems to contradict the first paragraph, which says

   This new SDP attribute is used declaratively to indicate the port and
   optionally the address for obtaining a Token.  Its presence indicates
   that (i) a Token MUST be included in certain feedback messages sent
   to the server triggering or controlling a unicast session (The list
   of those feedback messages is in Section 4.3.1)

The last paragraph says

   When sending an answer, if the 'portmapping-req' attribute has been
   present in the offer including a port number and the answerer
   supports this specification, then the answerer MUST include the
   attribute in its answer.  The answer may or may not include a port
   and address.  This depends on the application and the desire of the
   answerer.

I believe that technology has not yet evolved to the point that computers
have desires ;-).  I suggest changing the final sentence to read "This
depends on the application and the configuration of the answerer."

---

From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:52:39 -0800

Good comments :) Tom has provided a replacement for this section. We will see whether it will address the confusions and make the text clearer. 

Thanks.
-acbegen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Glen Zorn [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 2:21 AM
> To: Ali C. Begen (abegen)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Comments on Section 7.1 of draft-ietf-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp-09.txt
>