Subject: [AVTCORE] Need Clarification on SSRC Usage in RTP

From: ramesh kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:53:09 +0530

Hi All,

I have a question on SSRC usage in RTP:

As per RFC 3550,

 The SSRC identifier is a
      randomly chosen value meant to be globally unique within a
      particular RTP session.  A participant need not
      use the same SSRC identifier for all the RTP sessions in a
      multimedia session.

Question:  Is there any possibility of SSRC Identifier be same across
consecutive RTP Sessions ? Does Standard emphasis on this ?

-- 
*Thanks & Regards,
R.Ramesh Kumar.
*

---

From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:21:37 -0600

> consecutive RTP Sessions ? Does Standard emphasis on this ?

There is no definition of 'consecutive' that can be derived from the 
RFCs, so I assume that what you mean is "is it possible that the same 
SSRC identifier could appear in two RTP sessions that occur near each 
other in time?", and the answer is 'yes'. In fact, the same SSRC 
identifier could even appear in two simultaneous RTP sessions that are 
part of distinct SIP/H.323/etc. sessions.

-- 
Kevin P. Fleming
Digium, Inc. | Director of Software Technologies
Jabber: [email-masked] | SIP: [email-masked] | Skype: kpfleming
445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - USA
Check us out at www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org