Subject: [AVTCORE] Protocol Action: 'Inter-destination Media Synchronization using the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:59:19 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Inter-destination Media Synchronization using the RTP Control Protocol
   (RTCP)'
  (draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Richard Barnes and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-idms/

Technical Summary:

This document defines a new RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Packet Type and 
RTCP Extended Report (XR) Block Type to be used for achieving Inter-
Destination Media Synchronization (IDMS).  IDMS is the process of 
synchronizing playout across multiple geographically distributed media 
receivers. Typical use cases in which IDMS is usefull are social TV, 
shared  service control (i.e. applications where two or more 
geographically  separated users are watching a media stream together), 
distance  learning, networked video walls, networked loudspeakers, etc.

Working Group Summary:

This document went through a working group last call. There were 
comments and the document was updated to resolve all comments. The work 
started in ETSI and since it have to do with RTCP it was brought to the 
IETF AVTCore WG. The last issue that took some time was to update the 
ETSI document clarifying that the change control will be at the IETF.

Document Quality:

The document got good reviews from AVTcore members. 

Personnel:

Roni Even is the Document Shepherd and the Responsible Area Director is 
Richard Barnes.