Subject: [AVTCORE] AD review of draft-ietf-avtcore-leap-second

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 15:07:19 -0500

I have reviewed this draft in preparation for IETF LC, and think it looks
good to go.

One thing the authors might keep in mind while doing any LC or DISCUSS
edits is that it may not be immediately clear to the reader how suppressing
or ignoring SRs (Section 5.1) is helpful with this problem.   There's a
line in Section 5 that explains this ("generating or using NTP timestamps
... SHOULD be avoided"), but it would be helpful to tie the two ideas
together.  Perhaps something like this at the beginning of Section 5.1:
NEW: "In order to avoid generating or using NTP timestamps during periods
where confusion might arise (see above), RTP senders and receivers need to
avoid using RTCP Sender Reports (SRs) to synchronize their clocks during
this window, instead relying on their internal clocks to maintain sync in
the vicinity of a leap second."

Editorial nit: In Section 5,
OLD: "the timestamp ambiguity, positive leap seconds"
NEW: "the timestamp ambiguity that positive leap seconds"

Thanks,
--Richard