Subject: [AVTCORE] Erratas on RFC 4867 (The AMR RTP Payload Format)

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 18:07:49 +0200

AVTCORE and PAYLOAD,

There has been three erratas submitted toward RFC 4867 the AMR RTP 
payload format:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4867

The numbers for the Erratas are 4347, 4348, and 4349.

I am one of the co-authors and I want to resolve these erratas. I am 
sending this to both AVTCORE and PAYLOAD WG due to that the erratas 
arriving on AVTCORE's mailing list, but is more in PAYLOAD's scope. So 
please keep both lists in the reply. Any judgment of the consensus will 
be done by Roni Even.

They are all related to text regarding the usage of the Codec Mode 
Request field. Unclarities and contradictions in the RFC has caused 
interoperability problems. These have been discussed in 3GPP SA4 and 
they have discussed and agreed on this proposal for addressing these 
issues.

The proposed changes can be seen in the errata as well as the 
motivations. I have produced a side-by-side diff for the text changes 
which is attached to make it easier to see what is proposed to be 
changed in the text.

 From my perspective these erratas should be VERIFIED. The reason is 
that the changes proposed appear to be enforcing what I can remember 
being the intention of the document, but being more easier to understand 
and without the conflict. However, there has been substantial amount of 
time since this was specified and people may have other views. Thus, I 
really like to see if someone disagree with that the erratas encode the 
intention and therefore should not be VERIFIED.

It would be good if people could provide any feedback no later than the 
22nd of August.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Services, Media and Network features, Ericsson Research EAB/TXM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                 | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: 정경훈 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 23:28:33 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Magnus

Indeed, it has been a long time since RFC 4867 was released but real

implementations based on this RFC got deployed only recently (around 2012)

in a large scale over commercial, especially mobile, IP networks where

interoperability issues cannot be ignored.

We believe it is necessary to clarify the sentences on the usage of CMR

as proposed in the errata.

Best regards,

Kyunghun Jung

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.

------- Original Message -------

Sender : Magnus Westerlund<[email-masked]>

Date : 2015-07-22 01:07 (GMT+09:00)

Title : [payload] Erratas on RFC 4867 (The AMR RTP Payload Format)

AVTCORE and PAYLOAD,

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Farogatan 6                 | Mobile +46 73 0949079