Subject: [AVTCORE] Protocol Action: 'AES-GCM Authenticated Encryption in Secure RTP (SRTP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-aes-gcm-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 14:16:29 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'AES-GCM Authenticated Encryption in Secure RTP (SRTP)'
  (draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-aes-gcm-17.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba, Ben Campbell and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-aes-gcm/

Technical Summary:
   This document defines how AES-GCM and AES-CCM Authenticated
   Encryption with Associated Data algorithms can be used to provide
   confidentiality and data authentication in the SRTP protocol. 
   Identifiers for using these with DTLS-SRTP, MIKEY and Security 
   Descriptions are also being registered in the appropriate IANA 
   registries.

Working Group Summary:
   There has been no controveries around this document. It has rather 
   lacked in contribution due to difficult intersection between RTP and 
   Security.

Document Quality:
   This has gotten close to minimal level of reviews from the WG. 
   Jonathan Lennox reviewed it and was especially helpfull dealing with 
   Header Extensions. Can also thank Woo-Hwan Kim for his reviews. The 
   changes after WG last call, has been verified by the WG consensus 
   call on the changes. In this call one additional reviewer (Michael A 
   Peck) confirmed suitability to publish.

   Mocana's Keytone already implements AES-GCM-256 in SRTP, thou an 
   earlier draft version. NSA plans to include cipher suits from this 
   document into secure communication profiles for US governmental use. 
   Because of that it is believed that several implementations are under 
   way. 

Personnel:
   Magnus Westerlund is the document shepherd. 
   Responsible AD is Ben Campbell.

RFC Editor Note

  In section 19.1, please remove (uncited) reference to RFC5282

  In section 19.2, please remove (uncited) reference to [ferg]