Subject: [AVTCORE] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4103 (5032)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 12:48:27 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC4103,
"RTP Payload for Text Conversation".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5032

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Gunnar Hellstrom <[email-masked]>

Section: 5.2

Original Text
-------------
After an idle period, the transmitter SHOULD set the M-bit to one in
the first packet with new text.

Corrected Text
--------------
After an idle period, the transmitter SHOULD set the M-bit to one in
the first packet with new text.

A number of approaches can be taken for how to compose the initial
packets in the session, and the packets sent at resumption after an
idle period. In order to harmonize transmitter behavior, and fulfill
requirements in RFC 2198[3] and RFC 4102[9], transmitters SHOULD
apply the following mechanism:  Initially in the session and at 
resumption of transmission after an idle period, when redundancy is
used, the packets to send SHOULD contain the same level of redundancy
as specified for the session. If redundant data for the specified
number of generations is not available for transmission, empty 
T140blocks SHOULD be inserted in the packet for transmission to make
it contain the specified level of redundancy. 

Notes
-----
RFC 4103 does not exactly specify how to compose the first packets in the session and the packets after an idle period, when redundancy is used in the session. 

Even if receivers should be prepared to decode any valid packet composition, it eases interoperability when transmitters behave consistently. 

RFC 2198 requires that the redundant format must carry at least the primary and one redundant level. RFC 4102 requires that if different compositions of the payloads in the packet is to be used, then each combination needs to be assigned its own payload type number. Assuming that that includes use of varying levels of redundancy with the same payload in the redundant data, these requirements lead to the recommendation to use the approach documented in the corrected text.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC4103 (draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-09)
--------------------------------------
Title               : RTP Payload for Text Conversation
Publication Date    : June 2005
Author(s)           : G. Hellstrom, P. Jones
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Audio/Video Transport
Area                : Real-time Applications and Infrastructure
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG