Subject: [AVTCORE] WG Review: Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance (avtcore)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 09:09:17 -0700

The Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance (avtcore) WG in the Applications
and Real-Time Area of the IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has not
made any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the
IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2019-09-16.

Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance (avtcore)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Rachel Huang <[email-masked]>
  Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
  Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/avt/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/avtcore/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-avtcore/

The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) along with its associated profiles
and payload formats provides for real-time transmission of audio and
video over unicast and multicast transports. RTP is widely implemented
and deployed for a broad range of applications, from telephony to
television over IP. RTP itself is now an Internet Standard. Its
associated profiles, extensions, and payload formats are currently at
various levels of standards maturity. As new applications emerge, there
is a need for guidelines for the use of the RTP/RTCP protocols and
extensions specific to those applications.

The AVTCORE working group is chartered for the following tasks:

1. To maintain the core RTP/RTCP specifications and the AVP, SAVP, AVPF,
and SAVPF profiles. The group will provide architectural guidance for
extending the protocols and guidelines for their proper use.

2. To develop application-specific guidelines for the use of RTP/RTCP
protocols with the AVP, SAVP, AVPF, and SAVPF profiles, and extensions to
those protocols that are driven by application-specific needs.

3. To specify and maintain payload formats for use with RTP. The working
group will develop RTP payload formats for new media codecs, review and
revise existing payload formats to advance those that are especially
useful to Internet Standard, and declare others Historic.  The group will
follow the guidelines established in "Guidelines for Writers of RTP
Payload Format Specifications" [BCP 36] and "How to Write an RTP Payload
Format" (RFC 8088), and is responsible for maintaining those guidelines.

4. To evaluate and process proposals for RTP eXtended Report Block
(XRBLOCK) definitions containing new metrics. The group will work within
the framework defined by RFC 3611, "RTP Control Protocol Extended Reports
(RTCP XR)" along with other RTP monitoring architecture being developed
in the working group. It will follow the guidelines established in RFC
5968, "Guidelines for Extending the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP)" and RFC
6390, "Guidelines for Considering New Performance Metric Development".

The AVTCORE working group will coordinate closely with the Security Area
while working on maintenance and enhancements to the SRTP Profile (SAVP).

Milestones:

  Feb 2019 - Submit Guidelines for using the Multiplexing Features of RTP for
  Informational

  Mar 2019 - Submit RTP Payload Format for the TETRA Audio Codec

  Apr 2019 - Submit RTP Header Extension for Video Frame Information for
  Proposed Standard

  Jun 2019 - Submit Feedback Mechanism for RTP Congestion Control for
  Proposed Standard

  Nov 2019 - Submit RTP Payload Format for VP9 Video for Proposed Standard

  Mar 2020 - Submit RTP Payload Format for ISO/IEC 21122 (JPEG XS) for
  Proposed Standard

  Mar 2020 - Submit RTP Payload Format for TTML Timed Text for Proposed
  Standard