Subject: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-party-rtt-mix-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 07:34:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance WG of the IETF.

        Title           : RTP-mixer formatting of multi-party Real-time text
        Author          : Gunnar Hellstrom
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-party-rtt-mix-07.txt
	Pages           : 53
	Date            : 2020-07-12

Abstract:
   Real-time text mixers for multi-party sessions need to identify the
   source of each transmitted group of text so that the text can be
   presented by endpoints in suitable grouping with other text from the
   same source.

   Regional regulatory requirements specify provision of real-time text
   in multi-party calls.  RFC 4103 mixer implementations can use
   traditional RTP functions for source identification, but the mixer
   source switching performance is limited when using the default
   transmission with redundancy.

   Enhancements for RFC 4103 real-time text mixing is provided in this
   document, suitable for a centralized conference model that enables
   source identification and source switching.  The intended use is for
   real-time text mixers and multi-party-aware participant endpoints.
   Two mechanisms are provided.  The mechanisms builds on use of the
   CSRC list in the RTP packet for source identification.  One method
   makes use of the same "text/red" format as for two-party sessions,
   while the other makes use of an extended packet format "text/rex" for
   more efficient transmission.

   A capability exchange is specified so that it can be verified that a
   participant can handle the multi-party coded real-time text stream.
   The capability for one method is by use of a media attribute a=rtt-
   mix-rtp-mixer.  The other method is indicated by the media subtype
   "text/rex".

   The document updates RFC 4102[RFC4102] and RFC 4103[RFC4103]

   A brief description about how a mixer can format text for the case
   when the endpoint is not multi-party aware is also provided.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-party-rtt-mix/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-party-rtt-mix-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-party-rtt-mix-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-party-rtt-mix-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 23:03:52 +0200

A new version of the multi-party real-time text draft is available.

I have added one multi-party method using the existing "text/red" packet 
format from RFC 4103 and transmission interval shortened to 100 ms when 
there is text from more than one participant to send. It is negotiated 
by an sdp media attribute.

This was because I realized that it may be more important to have a 
method that is rapid to implement as an upgrade on existing 
implementations than to have best performance and technical elegance.

I have had 2 and 3 and 5 simultaneously typing participants in the 
requirement statements, but now I realize that 5 simultaneously typing 
participants must be an extremely rare case that is not needed as a 
requirement for good performance, at least not for emergency service 
calls, relay service calls and small or well managed meetings.

Looking forward to discussions e.g. if all three currently specified 
methods shall be kept in the draft or some be dropped.

Regards

Gunnar

Den 2020-07-12 kl. 16:34, skrev [email-masked]:
> _______________________________________________
> Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

-- 
Gunnar Hellström
GHAccess
[email-masked]