Subject: [AVTCORE] Video ingest, relation to congestion control (was RE: Minutes from Video Ingest over QUIC side meeting)

From: Ingemar Johansson S <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 08:54:40 +0000

Hi

Did not attend this meeting. Looked in the notes though. There is discussion
around the relation to QUIC congestion control. 

Unless something dramatic has happened with the QUIC specification, QUIC
does congestion control on the transport layer, which means that all QUIC
streams (it can be HTTP, video, audio .. with different priority)  share one
congestion control instance. 

I interpret this as that the video ingest should not really do congestion
control. Rather it should do (video) rate control based on the push-back
from the QUIC congestion control for instance based on measured stream send
buffer level.

Something like this is done in SCReAM (RFC8298), SCReAM tries to split
between the network congestion control and the media rate control. This
makes it relatively easy to multiplex several video sources (e.g multiple
cameras for remote control). SCReAM does however not to a perfect split as
some network congestion control signals like loss events and ECN CE marking
need to be forwarded up to the rate control to keep e2e latency low.

In any case, regardless you agree around the proposed split or not , I
believe that it is good to clarify what congestion control actually means
here.

Regards
Ingemar

From: Alan Frindell <[email-masked]> 
Sent: den 2 augusti 2021 20:00
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Kirill Pugin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Minutes from Video Ingest over QUIC side meeting

Hi, thank you everyone who attended.  Attached is a link to the minutes,
which contains links to the presentations and a copy of the chat history
during the meeting.  Look for an announcement of a new mailing list soon.

https://codimd.ietf.org/s/B1Jhb70Rd

I put wish, quic and mops on the bcc line so any replies here will go to
avtcore.

-Alan

From: Alan Frindell <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >
Date: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 at 8:41 AM
To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >, QUIC WG <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >,
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Cc: Kirill Pugin <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: Reminder: Video Ingest over QUIC Side Meeting Friday 7/30 18:00 UTC

Video Ingest over QUIC Side Meeting Friday 7/30 18:00 UTC / 11 Pacific

Link to draft agenda and video conference details:
https://github.com/afrind/draft-rush/blob/main/meeting-materials/agenda.2021
.07.03.md

-Alan