Subject: [AVTCORE] Pre-PubReq review of Cryptex

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 06:58:23 -0700

As part of development the publication request for Cryptex, two questions
have arisen:

1. Is there a reason that the specification does not obsolete RFC 6904?
2. Are there implementations in production?

---

From: Sergio Garcia Murillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 15:14:22 +0100

Not sure about obsoleting  RFC 6904, in one way it should replace it, but
nothing prevents anyone from keeping both in parallel (or use rfc 6904
instead).

Regarding the implementations, I don't think there is any on production
yet. We have the jitsi implementation by Jonathan, and my PR to libsrtp
which has not been merged yet. I plan to do a CL to libwbertc when it is
merged to add support for it.

Best regards
Sergio

---

From: "Cullen Jennings (fluffy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 16:26:53 +0000

On Nov 4, 2021, at 7:58 AM, Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

This should not deprecate 6904. 6904 remains a thing that some systems use and it does what it does. I can not imagine why this should deprecate that.

---

From: Justin Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 10:37:01 -0700

There are no known implementations in production, but I am planning on
using this technology in production.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 9:28 AM Cullen Jennings (fluffy) <fluffy=
[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
> On Nov 4, 2021, at 7:58 AM, Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> This should not deprecate 6904. 6904 remains a thing that some systems use
> and it does what it does. I can not imagine why this should deprecate that.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt
>

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 10:44:24 -0700

Authors --

Thanks for your quick responses.

I have requested that the IESG publish Cryptex as a Proposed Standard.

This will kick off additional reviews as well as eventually an IETF last
call.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 10:37 AM Justin Uberti <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>> This should not deprecate 6904. 6904 remains a thing that some systems
>> use and it does what it does. I can not imagine why this should deprecate
>> that.
>>
>>
>>
>>