Subject: [AVTCORE] Last Call: <draft-ietf-avtcore-cryptex-05.txt> (Completely Encrypting RTP Header Extensions and Contributing Sources) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:26:04 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance WG (avtcore) to consider the following document: - 'Completely
Encrypting RTP Header Extensions and Contributing Sources'
  <draft-ietf-avtcore-cryptex-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2022-04-05. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   While the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) provides
   confidentiality for the contents of a media packet, a significant
   amount of metadata is left unprotected, including RTP header
   extensions and contributing sources (CSRCs).  However, this data can
   be moderately sensitive in many applications.  While there have been
   previous attempts to protect this data, they have had limited
   deployment, due to complexity as well as technical limitations.

   This document defines Cryptex as a new mechanism that completely
   encrypts header extensions and CSRCs and uses simpler signaling with
   the goal of facilitating deployment.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-cryptex/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.