Subject: [babel] info-model: message log

From: "STARK, BARBARA H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 18:38:55 +0000

Hi Babelers,
I've been working on the info model again.
Here is my suggestion for having a message log:

babel-message-log is:
A reference or url link to a file that contains a timestamped log of messages received and sent on babel-udp-port on all interfaces. File format MUST be readable by Wireshark 1.8 or later and use the applicable file format extension in the filename. Logging is enabled / disabled by babel-message-log-enable.

Would this work?
Barbara

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 17:21:22 +0100

> A reference or url link to a file that contains a timestamped log of messages received and sent on babel-udp-port on all interfaces. File format MUST be readable by Wireshark 1.8 or later and use t…

Wireshark supports multiple formats, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to
allow all of the formats supported by Wireshark.

I'm not intimately familiar with the capture packet formats.  The pcapng
file format appears to be the preferred format for wireshark, but the
internet-draft is expired since 2014; what's more, I'm not sure it's
supported by libpcap.

The traditional libpcap format is documented here:

  https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LibpcapFileFormat

and it's likely to be supported by any tool in existence.  Unless somebody
has good technical reasons to avoid libpcap, I suggest we should mandate
that format.

-- Juliusz

---

From: Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 22:22:17 -0800

> On Dec 22, 2018, at 8:21 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Would agree that the capture format is a pcap file. I will not be surprised if Wireshark does not understand Babel protocol, particularly if no one has defined it in libpcap. Not too difficult to add though.

> _______________________________________________
> babel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/babel

Mahesh Jethanandani
[email-masked]