Subject: [beepwg] [Vortex] [ANN] Vortex Library 1.0.16 '10.000 Days' release is ready!

From: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:03:43 +0100

###################################################
      ##              Vortex Library 1.0.16            ##
      ##              "10.000 Days release"            ##
      ###################################################

Release note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce the Vortex
  Library 1.0.16 "10.000 Days" release availability: an open source
  "BEEP Core" protocol implementation written in C, mapped onto
  TCP/IP.

  Vortex Library has been developed inside the Af-Arch project as its
  data transport layer.

  Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
  development toolkit. Currently it is running under Microsoft Windows
  and GNU/Linux platforms.

  Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:

    - http://www.aspl.es/vortex
      [Vortex Library homepage]
 
    - http://www.sf.net/projects/vortexlibrary
      [Sources and Win32 binaries]

    - http://fact.aspl.es
      [Af-Arch homepage where Vortex Library is being developed]

    - http://www.beepcore.org
      [BEEP Core community web site]

    - http://www.aspl.es/xml
      [Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
    
The release in short
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  General API update to apply axl-bool-removal-02 change notification
  which, in general terms, improves C++ usability and makes already
  existing C users to keep on having the same behavior.

  Added support to allow buggy BEEP peers to use 0 as first MSG no
  number on channel 0 (can be controlled via API), support to disable
  SEQ frame generation (useful for tuning profiles). 

  Updated vortex_channel_close to block the caller until the channel
  is closed if a close in transit is detected (rather returning
  immediately with "channel closed").

  Several bugs were fixed and integrated into the regression test to
  check solution applied.

  All fixings and improvements were also available on Vortex Library
  1.1 repository.

Change notifications
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  [1] vortex-conn-on-close-02
  http://lists.aspl.es/pipermail/vortex/2008-October/000724.html
  
  [2] axl-bool-removal-02
  http://lists.aspl.es/pipermail/vortex/2008-November/000743.html

Thanks to..
~~~~~~~~~~~
  Balazs Tirpak (reported wrong delivery frame handling for channels
  with serialize flag activated).
 
  Martin Huter (helped to check and reported boolean API problem on
  Axl Library and Vortex Library for C++ users, provided a patch for a
  rare connection error condition with 2.4 linux kernels)

  Mikhail Dmitrievsky (reported and provided a fix for a wrong
  internal buffer size update at the vortex sequencer module).

Changes since 1.0.15
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* [fix] Back ported support to cancel vortex_channel_wait_reply and
  vortex_channel_get_reply operations under close connection condition
  from 1.1 releases.

* [fix] Fixed compilation errors on windows due to casting void* with
  integers inside the same expression. Fixed applied to 1.0/1.1.

* [fix] CHANGE-NOTIFY: Making vortex_connection_set_on_close and 
  _full version to return void (since they were returning always NULL). 
  Updated vortex_connection_remove_on_close_full to also require 
  the user data pointer used to install the handler. Fix applied 
  according to vortex-conn-on-close-01.

* [fix] Flagging vortex_sasl_configure_current_properties as private
  (it was marked as public). Updated libvortex.def file.

* [new] Updated vortex xml-rpc API to include two new functions
  to update reference counting for XmlRpcArray and XmlRpcStruct 
  instances. API added:

    - vortex_xml_rpc_struct_ref
    - vortex_xml_rpc_array_ref

  Updated internal implementation to make destroy functions to check
  reference counters. Fixed copy functions to use this support. Fixed
  applied 1.0/1.1.

* [new] Updated vortex reader API to allow configuring protocol checks
  making it possible to accept messages with number 0 for channel 0.
  API added:

   - vortex_reader_allow_channel0_starting_from_0

* [fix] Fixed wrong handling of frames received, having the channel
  with serialize flag activated, under contexts where mixed replies
  (ANS..NUL/RPY) types are used to replies messages received, causing
  some frames to be retained for delivery. Bug reported by Balazs
  Tirpak. Fixed and added a regression test to reproduce problem and
  check the fix (test_02k). Imported fix into 1.1 series.

* [fix] Flagging vortex_channel_cleanup as internal. (1.0/1.1).

* [fix] Starting to apply axl-bool-removal-02 change notification
  updating xml-rpc-gen implementation. Applied change on 1.0/1.1.

* [fix] Fixed bug causing to not properly notify reply written in the
  case the listener side issue a MSG and the initiator reply with ANS
  series ended by NUL. Fix applied to 1.0/1.1

* [fix] Making vortex tunnel implementation to disable SEQ frame
  generation during handshake to avoid introducing unexpected
  information during the connection reset.  Applied to 1.0/1.1
  
* [fix] Improved checks performed during the channel and connection
  negotiation for TUNNEL profile. Applied to 1.0/1.1

* [fix] Updated error handling on TLS implementation to show full
  error stack provided by OpenSSL (the proper manner to debug TLS
  failures). Applied change to 1.0/1.1

* [fix] Disabled SEQ frame generation during TLS negotiation to avoid
  producing noise in the middle of the connection reset. Applied
  change to 1.0/1.1

* [fix] Applied update to remove bool type replaced by int as defined
  by axl-bool-removal-02. Fix applied to 1.0/1.1.

* [fix] Applied change to XML-RPC implementation axl-bool-removal-02.
  (1.0/1.1).

* [new] Updated connection API to include two new functions that
  allows to disable SEQ frame generation and to check current
  status. This is useful in the case a tuning profile is being
  developed to avoid introducing "noise" during the session reset. API
  added (1.0/1.1):

    - vortex_connection_seq_frame_updates
    - vortex_connection_seq_frame_updates_status

* [fix] Making internal vortex_connection_do_sanity_check to also
  check if the socket looks ok. Applied (1.0/1.1).

* [fix] Making replaced calls to inet_ntoa with thread safe version
  vortex_support_inet_ntoa. API added (1.0/1.1):

   - vortex_support_inet_ntoa

* [fix] Added additional check during wait conditions, inside vortex
  connection module where TCP connect is signaled but the connection
  is broken (really rare case under 2.4 linux kernels with older glibc
  version. Fixed and reported by Martin Huter).

* [fix] Applying axl-bool-removal-02 changes to vortex support module
  (1.0/1.1).

* [fix] Added internal check inside mime processing for frame received
  to avoid processing SEQ frames (though it should never reach this
  point).  Applied 1.0/1.1.

* [fix] Making vortex listener on ready notification to use thread
  safe inet_ntoa to notify host allocated by the listener.

* [fix] Committing more updates to both branches (1.0/1.1) due to
   axl-bool-removal-02.

* [fix] Flagging vortex_channel_is_empty_pending_message as public
  (1.0/1.1).

* [new] Updated vortex hash memory handling to provide reference
  counting support. Updated vortex_hash_create and vortex_hash_destroy
  to take into consideration reference counting. Added new functions
  to control reference counting (1.0/1.1):

   - vortex_hash_ref
   - vortex_hash_unref

  Added new function to lock the caller until some change is detected
  on a hash. API added (1.0/1.1):
 
   - vortex_hash_lock_until_changed 

* [new] Making vortex_channel_close to lock the caller in the case
  that the channels is already in close process (due to incoming
  accepted close msg), returning the caller after the channel is
  completely closed rather returning immediately (1.0/1.1).

* [fix] Fixed VortexConnectionOnChannelUpdate documentation.
  
* [fix] Cleaning vortex sequencer code. Applied 1.0/1.1

* [fix] Fixed wrong vortex sequencer internal sending buffer resizing
  in the case the size requested is twice actual size
  allocated. Reported by Mikhail Dmitrievsky. Fixed on 1.0/1.1. Added
  regression test to check the fix introduced.

* [fix] Nullify connection reference from channel on connection close
  to avoid channel references to access to a closed and deallocated
  connection. Applied 1.0/1.1

* [fix] Ensured all memory is deallocated for pending messages that
  were queued due to channel stale status, under situations where the
  connection is suddenly lost. Applied fix and added regression test
  to check this (test_02m2). (1.0/1.1).

* [fix] Making vortex_channel_get_reply to allow returning content
  even in the case the channel reference received is NULL or the
  connection is closed, under situations that pending elements are
  available. Updated code to avoid installing the close connection
  detection in the case the connection is already broken. (1.0/1.1).

* [fix] General update on Makefile.win files (1.0/1.1) to reduce the
  resulting library size.

* [fix] Updated vortex_channel_new_full/v documentation to reflect
  that profile_content and profile_content_format already places the
  CDATA declaration.

About Us
~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line provides GNU/Linux support and
  consulting services to help organization to introduce GNU/Linux
  inside its process. 

  Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
  and/or BEEP based development services.

  You can reach us:

       http://www.aspl.es - [email-masked]

  We hope Vortex Library help you. Enjoy Vortex Library!  

--
Francis Brosnan Blázquez           - [email-masked]
Advanced Software Production Line  - http://www.aspl.es
14th nov 2008, Madrid (Spain)

_______________________________________________
Vortex mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.aspl.es/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vortex