Subject: [beepwg] ANN: Vortex Library 1.1.4 'Plug In Baby' release is ready!

From: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:48:50 +0200

###################################################
      ##              Vortex Library 1.1.4             ##
      ##                  "Plug In Baby"               ##
      ###################################################

Release note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce Vortex
  Library 1.1.4 "Plug In Baby" release availability: an open source
  "BEEP Core" protocol implementation written in C, mapped onto
  TCP/IP.

  Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
  development toolkit, with active support for Microsoft Windows and
  GNU/Linux platforms.

  Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:

    - http://www.aspl.es/vortex
      [Vortex Library homepage]

    - http://www.aspl.es/vortex/py-vortex/html
      [PyVortex homepage]

    - http://www.aspl.es/turbulence
      [Turbulence BEEP server homepage]
 
    - http://www.sf.net/projects/vortexlibrary
      [Sources and Win32 binaries]

    - http://www.beepcore.org
      [BEEP Core community web site]

    - http://www.aspl.es/xml
      [Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
    
This release in short
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  This release adds an API that allows backward compatibility with old
  Vortex clients (see
  vortex_listener_send_greetings_on_connect). Affects old clients
  connecting to new servers.

  Added support to install portable asynchronous events which allows
  executing code periodically, handled by vortex thread pool
  (i.e. useful for reconnect operations, rather implementing such
  tasks inside close notification).

  Bug fixings, documentation updates and PyVortex API updates.

Change notifications
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  None

Thanks to..
~~~~~~~~~~~

  <Adam Cox> (Reported some compilation warnings and provided useful
  information to track MacOS/X problems).

Changes since 1.1.3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* [fix] Disabled seq frame update when NUL frame is received.

* [fix] Resolved compilation error with gcc 4.4.1. printf cant now
  receive directly a char * string it must be passed by argument

* [fix] Resolved compilation warning with gcc 4.4.1. Functions results
  must be always used.

* [new] Updated vortex listener API to include a function that allows
  controlling if the BEEP peer greeting is issued before or after
  receiving client BEEP greetings. Fixes issue with old clients
  connecting to new listeners (reported by Dhiraj Prasad). API added:
   
   - vortex_listener_send_greetings_on_connect
  
  Updated documentation to reflect why this API is required and how to
  use it.

* [fix] Removed all long int declarations, replaced by long. Checked
  change with regression test and all warnings enabled. Still more
  tests in other processors and platforms required.

* [new] Added initial new API to execute asynchronous events from
  current thread pool. Still more work is required. API added:

   - VortexThreadAsyncEvent (handler def)
   - vortex_thread_pool_new_event

* [fix] Finished initial working version for event task API at thread
  pool. Added regression test to check function (test_00c).  API
  added:

    - vortex_thread_pool_event_stats.

* [fix] Added additional check to VORTEX_HARD_SOCK_LIMIT at
  vortex_io module to avoid such cases where system returns -1.
  Added for poll and epoll methods.

* [fix] Fixed some printf compilation errors at vortex regression test
  files reported by Adam Cox.

* [fix] Added initial code to transport asynchronous event API into
  PyVortex. Added initial ctx.Vortex.new_event method. Still more work
  required to check code introduced.

* [fix] Fixed test01-i to support all platforms that delay when
  connecting to broken addresses.

* [fix] Fixed internal event tasks activation (inside thread
  pool). Under some circumstances event is never activated if tv_usec
  was too low. Updated test_00-c to check this issue.

* [fix] Updated vortex_thread_pool_new_event documentation.

* [fix] Updated PyVortex regression test to check async events support
  introduced (vortex.Ctx.new_event).

* [fix] Several PyVortex documentation updates. Added clarifications
  to better check error codes returned by PyVortex API.

* [fix] Fixed PyVortex documentation issues.

* [fix] Making vortex connection module init to detect reinit operations
  (especially when fork is used) to avoid initializing connection ids.
  Bug exposed by turbulence reg test (test_21).

About Us
~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line provides GNU/Linux support and
  consulting services to help organization to introduce GNU/Linux
  inside its process.

  Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
  and/or BEEP based development services.

  You can reach us:

       http://www.aspl.es - [email-masked]

  We hope Vortex Library help you. Enjoy Vortex Library!  

--
Francis Brosnan Blázquez           - [email-masked]
Advanced Software Production Line  - http://www.aspl.es
16th apr 2010, Madrid (Spain)