Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] ICE performance

From: Guilherme Balena Versiani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:58:39 -0300

Comments in-line.

David Barrett wrote:
> This is really, really fantastic.  Do you have any capability to measure
> direct peer connectivity success rates on an individual or pairwise NAT
> basis (I'm assuming that at worst it'll always "work" through a relay, but
> I'm more interested in the direct case)?  Is it above 90%?
>   

I have this capability, but this is not implemented yet in the current 
version (production) to collect the data. I expect to start the 
"real-time" collecting work in the next release and then I could share 
more precise data for these subjects (Open x Open, Sym x Sym, etc).

> Also, I see excellent estimates and such made for the timing -- do you have
> any solid measurements?
>   

Just a parenthesis: is there any "formal" procedure to collect the data? 
I'm thinking to get relevant NAT type data from SDP and do a simple 
counting. How do you collected your data?

Regards,

Guilherme Balena Versiani.

_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:22:06 -0700

> How do you collect your data?

Sorry for the probably duplicate information, but an impressive way and
tool to collect the data is described in
http://www.brynosaurus.com/pub/net/p2pnat/ 

Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Guilherme Balena Versiani [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:59 PM
To: David Barrett
Cc: 'Dan Wing'; Henry Sinnreich; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] ICE performance

Comments in-line.

Regards,

---

From: "David Barrett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:23:45 -0700

> more precise data for these subjects (Open x Open, Sym x Sym, etc).

Awesome.  I look forward to the results.

> counting. How do you collected your data?

I've done it a couple different ways, but in general the best I've found is
to simply have a server to which clients upload a success/failure report
after each peer connection attempt, generally including:

- My NAT type
- The peer's NAT type
- My unique ID
- The peer's unique ID
- Did I succeed?
- How long did it take to connect?

Then, dump all this data into a simple RDBMS and run queries against it,
such as:

select fromnat, count(*), avg(success), avg(opentime) from peerconnectivity
group by fromnat;

select fromnat, tonat, count(*), avg(success), avg(opentime) from
peerconnectivity group by fromnat, tonat;

That'll spit out tables across each NAT type, and each combination.

Does this make sense?

-david