Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] New Version Notification for draft-xu-behave-nat64-standby-00

From: Xu Xiaohu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:59:14 +0800

Hi all,

I have just submitted a draft about the redundancy and load balance
mechanisms of NAT64
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-behave-nat64-standby-00). Both cold
standby and hot standby mechanisms are desbribed in this draft. These
redundancy mechanisms are able to keep the switchover of the NAT64 boxes
transparent to the hosts, especially to the IPv6 hosts. The cold standby
mechanism doesn't need the mapping states to be synchronized among the NAT64
boxes. With this mechanism, the already established connections (e.g., TCP
connections) will be interrupted due to the switchover of NAT64 boxes, but
later they can be re-established without the notice of applications on the
communicating hosts. The hot standby mechanism  in contrast, requires the
mapping states to be synchronized in a timely fashion among the involved
NAT64 boxes. With this mechanism, the already established connections can be
preserved even when the switchover of NAT64 boxes occurs. 

On the basis of the standby mechanisms mentioned above, we can further
realize load balance among a set of NAT64 boxes. The basic idea is as
follows: these NAT64 boxes use two prefixe64s(e.g., prefix64-A and
prefix64-B), and one box is designated as the Master for prefix64-A and the
Backup for prefix64-B and the other as the Backup for prefix64-A and the
Master for prefix64-B, and half of the IPv6 hosts use prefix64-A and half
are using prefix64-B. In this way, the IPv6 packets towards IPv4 network is
balanced among a set of NAT64 boxes according to their destination addresses
with different prefix64.

Any comment is appreciated.

Xiaohu 

> -----邮件原件-----
> 发件人: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> 发送时间: 2009年4月29日 20:29
> 收件人: [email-masked]
> 主题: New Version Notification for draft-xu-behave-nat64-standby-00
> 
> 
> A new version of I-D, draft-xu-behave-nat64-standby-00.txt 
> has been successfuly submitted by Xiaohu Xu and posted to the 
> IETF repository.
> 
> Filename:	 draft-xu-behave-nat64-standby
> Revision:	 00
> Title:		 Redundancy and Load Balance Mechanism of NAT64
> Creation_date:	 2009-04-29
> WG ID:		 Independent Submission
> Number_of_pages: 9
> 
> Abstract:
> NAT64 [NAT64], a simplified NAT-PT [RFC2766] without DNS-ALG, 
> provides a method for IPv6 hosts to initiate communications 
> with IPv4 hosts. This memo defines several mechanisms 
> supporting redundancy and load balance amongst NAT64 boxes. 
> 
> Conventions used in this document 
> 
> The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL 
> NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and 
> "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as 
> described in RFC-2119 [RFC2119].
>                                                               
>                     
> 
> 
> The IETF Secretariat.
> 
>