Subject: [BEHAVE] Question for BIA(RFC3338)

From: Dong Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:04:27 +0800

Dear BIA's co-authors,

I am reading RFC3338. I have confusion.
In section 2.1 of RFC3338, it says:
   The main purposes of BIA are the same as BIS [BIS].  It makes IPv4
   applications communicate with IPv6 hosts without any modification of
   those IPv4 applications.  However, while BIS is for systems with no
   IPv6 stack, BIA is for systems with an IPv6 stack, but on which some
   applications are  not yet available on IPv6 and source code is not
   available preventing the application from being ported.

There is one word, "BIS is for systems with no IPv6 stack". I am confused.
BIS(RFC2767) defines a mechanism for dual stack hosts. And the dual stack 
hosts have IPv6 address. Meanwhile, they are able to send and receive IPv6
packets. I also check RFC1933, the reference of BIS. RFC1933 shows the 
definition of Dual IP Layer. It proves that "IPv6/IPv4 nodes have the ability 
to send and receive both IPv4 and IPv6 packets."

Hence, could anyone make the clarification? Sorry if I am missing something.
Thanks in advance.

B.R.
2009-09-17 

Dong Zhang